Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I guess we are all just going to conveniently forget that these things were supposed to support Augmented Reality, where you could just hold up your phone like a view finder to locate items?

Apple Glass ?

MrLoL

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
Lyon, France
For some reason Apple says on their press release that the camera and ARKit data are used along other things to locate the AirTag in precision finding mode. You can even see the camera input behind the blur when you're in that mode, perhaps it will be added later on or they're probably keeping it for upcoming AR devices?

1619260470507.png

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Seriously though I think they choose 2D not only because it will be more accurate (In AR mode how will the phone know what shelf the AirTag is, the one above or the one below? The accelerometer is not that accurate) but because it will be perfect for Apple Watch to have Precision Finding as well. That UI is perfect for Apple Watch.

MrLoL

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
Lyon, France
Seriously though I think they choose 2D not only because it will be more accurate (In AR mode how will the phone know what shelf the AirTag is, the one above or the one below? The accelerometer is not that accurate) but because it will be perfect for Apple Watch to have Precision Finding as well. That UI is perfect for Apple Watch.
It’s mostly based around the U1 chip, not accelerometer. U1 chip actually can tell
which shelf the AirTag is on.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
It’s mostly based around the U1 chip, not accelerometer. U1 chip actually can tell
which shelf the AirTag is on.
Yeah what you said made sense.I just saw iJustine fumbled around shelfs to try to find it. It's kind of funny.
Will know for sure when people get it in their hands though.

Eso

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
perhaps it will be added later on or they're probably keeping it for upcoming AR devices?
I'm thinking that these things were rumored so long because they wanted to launch it with this capability. It probably never worked out (like air power), so they just launched it as is. Didn't really matter though, people got all hyped up into buying these things based on AR that they forgot all about it by the time it actually launched :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.