Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
Sup guys/gals, is there any possible way for me to revert this HomeKit architecture upgrade ?

I feel like ever since I upgraded, it’s been wreaking havoc on my smart devices. At first it was just random devices, one by one. As of yesterday, I have every single device in my Home app with No Response.
Funny thing is, I can still control them from the manufacturers apps. So bizarre.

I’m tempted to reach out to Apple about this but I have a feeling they’re gonna tell me to reset all of my devices, which yea no thanks. I’ve already reset a few since iOS 17. Not doing every single device.

Anyone have any suggestions ??

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
not really that odd that the manufacturer's app controls them and homekit doesn't, they use 2 different methods to control.

as one possible fix, unplug all of the home hubs (appleTV and homepods), so they're all out at at the same time. Reboot your router , then go back and plug in the hubs. This tends to clear out anything that's gotten stuck.

I've been on the new architecture since it was first available (before they temporarily pulled it) and haven't had any issues.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
So I think I found a fix. Might be a temporary fix but they all now work.

I toggled the manufacturers apps Off then back On in Settings/Privacy & Security/Homekit.

Hopefully they stat like this !

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Manufacturer apps (mostly) use the Cloud to communicate. As long as the app, and the manufacturer device, can both see the internet, control works.

HomeKit is more "peer-to-peer" which is more private, but it does require that your HomeKit hubs can "see" your accessories on the local network. If you've followed waw74's suggestion above and you still have no joy, I think your next step is to try and determine if your network gear (APs etc) might be inhibiting peer-to-peer communications between hubs and accessories, especially mDNS/Bonjour.

There's a free app in the App store called "Discovery" that you can use on your iPhone to see what's being advertised on your local network under _hap._tcp and that's a good starting point to see what's visible.

Other things to also check are Isolation settings on your Access Points. If your HomeKit hub is wired (ethernet) is it possible that it can't see objects on the WiFi network?

It boils down to this - you have a local network that's hindering communication between segments or devices in some way. Figure that out, and you should see significant improvements.

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
Manufacturer apps (mostly) use the Cloud to communicate. As long as the app, and the manufacturer device, can both see the internet, control works.

HomeKit is more "peer-to-peer" which is more private, but it does require that your HomeKit hubs can "see" your accessories on the local network. If you've followed waw74's suggestion above and you still have no joy, I think your next step is to try and determine if your network gear (APs etc) might be inhibiting peer-to-peer communications between hubs and accessories, especially mDNS/Bonjour.

There's a free app in the App store called "Discovery" that you can use on your iPhone to see what's being advertised on your local network under _hap._tcp and that's a good starting point to see what's visible.

Other things to also check are Isolation settings on your Access Points. If your HomeKit hub is wired (ethernet) is it possible that it can't see objects on the WiFi network?

It boils down to this - you have a local network that's hindering communication between segments or devices in some way. Figure that out, and you should see significant improvements.
Thanks for this, really.

When I get some free time I’m gonna give all this a go, making waw74’s suggestion first.

I did install an entire new UniFi network about a year ago but like I said, everything was going just fine until iOS 17 update. I’ll try to report back once I start troubleshooting. Appreciate it tho !!

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

You wouldn't happen to have a screen shot or a little more info, such as the developer or company on the "Discovery" app you could share. Did a search for it... and well that was futile! LOL

Reactions: scapegoat81

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
You wouldn't happen to have a screen shot or a little more info, such as the developer or company on the "Discovery" app you could share. Did a search for it... and well that was futile! LOL

If you just typed in “Discovery” in the search field, you’d still have to scroll down a bit to find it. That’s the direct link to the App Store

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Following architecture update 3 Kasa Smart WiFi Plugs have gone No Reponse (a WeMo one 'survived'). Remove/Add does not work. I never had any reason to install the manufacturer's app, and really do not want to.

I will try unplugging everything (5 HomePods, 2 ATVs) and rebooting router but sheesh.

Last edited:

martens

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2019
Following architecture update 3 Kasa Smart WiFi Plugs have gone No Reponse (a WeMo one 'survived'). Remove/Add does not work. I never had any reason to install the manufacturer's app, and really do not want to.

I will try unplugging everything (5 HomePods, 2 ATVs) and rebooting router but sheesh.
After restarting everything, the plugs started working as expected again.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

If you just typed in “Discovery” in the search field, you’d still have to scroll down a bit to find it. That’s the direct link to the App Store

Thank you very much!!!!!!!

Reactions: Itinj24

scapegoat81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
Philly
not really that odd that the manufacturer's app controls them and homekit doesn't, they use 2 different methods to control.

as one possible fix, unplug all of the home hubs (appleTV and homepods), so they're all out at at the same time. Reboot your router , then go back and plug in the hubs. This tends to clear out anything that's gotten stuck.

I've been on the new architecture since it was first available (before they temporarily pulled it) and haven't had any issues.
So far after unplugging everything & rebooting, everything seems much more stable.
Time will tell tho. Thank you for the advice my friend !! 🫡

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.

I do have my Atv4k connected via Ethernet to my tp-link mesh router. Should I disconnect it and do WiFi?

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I do have my Atv4k connected via Ethernet to my tp-link mesh router. Should I disconnect it and do WiFi?
Testing this is easy - just unplug the ethernet cable and connect it to WiFi. If subsequent testing reveals no improvement, then reverse the action.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.