Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Reactions: z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
No problem. Let me know if either of those builds work for you. I haven't shared them with anyone before, so I'm curious.

Pale Moon 28.8 works great. Whereas I was limited to 240p in Firefox 68 for smooth video playback, my Katmai DP can now pull 480p perfectly with a little coaxing. Great in fullscreen too.

The Partitioned Engine Patch was installed in both, so both browsers were always streaming hardware-accelerated video.

Reactions: sparty411

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
Very good :) I think it's great that Debian builds Firefox without SSE2 for i686, but it's just WAY too damn bloated to be usable on machines that lack that instruction. What GPU are you using?

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
It's actually moderately usable, even on machines that just make SSE (like mine). The problem is that the experience isn't anywhere near as good as it could be.

ATI Radeon 9700 TX. Part of me is considering flashing it (however that works) to the 9700 firmware, which is slightly higher clocked.

@wicknix I found an AF .19 build, and it seems to work without SSE2. My guess is it will be slightly faster than Pale Moon thanks to the older FF 38 codebase.

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Update: For some reason, AF .19 disables GPU accelerated windows (regardless of prefs), which translates to videos playing back much choppier in AF than Pale Moon 28.8.

Update 2: Installing the MVPS Hosts has noticeably improved navigation on both browsers. No more waiting for ad servers. :)

Perhaps at this point in time, Pale Moon 28 is a perfect balance of performance, security, and compatibility by combining Firefox's hardware acceleration and Web compatibility with Arctic Fox's speed and nimbility into one.

@sparty411, maybe you should embed your PM build into your signature or somewhere so people can be aware. Maybe you can be the Pale Moon guy and even distribute your builds in .debs.

@wicknix, disabled GPU acceleration has been known to cripple TenFourFox (and give the false, undeserved stigma that all PPCs minus Quads are slow). I'm moderately sure AF on other platforms does not have this problem, but on the off chance they do, I believe we ought to find a way to enable it. Two-decade-old CPUs pulling the modern Web entirely alone is a no-go.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I would only distribute PM if it were built with new moon branding. If they find out someone is distributing unofficial builds with official branding they will have your head. Just an fyi. ;)

Afaik gpu accel is enabled on other platforms. Might have just been the way It was built, but i can look in to it.

Cheers

Reactions: sparty411 and z970

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
@wicknix I was about to mention that! Hahaha! I've seen enough of their screeching at Roytam1, to know better than to represent any of my builds as official :). @z970mp If I can ever figure out branding, I'd consider it.

Reactions: z970 and wicknix

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
I'm trying to build Pale Moon 2.8.2.1 on i686 w/ Debian 9 now. I've got all the dependencies listed on their Linux build guide webpage, and ./mach build keeps failing about a minute into the configuration with:

DEBUG: configure:12169: checking for gtk+-3.0 >= 3.4.0 gtk+-unix-print-3.0 glib-2.0 gobject-2.0
DEBUG: configure: error: Library requirements (gtk+-3.0 >= 3.4.0 gtk+-unix-print-3.0 glib-2.0 gobject-2.0 ) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
ERROR: old-configure failed
*** Fix above errors and then restart with\
"/usr/bin/make -f client.mk build"

From what I've tried, those packages aren't available from the repos, and pkg-config has been configured to refer to /usr/lib with echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH. And it still fails.

Here's my .mozconfig:

mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS="-s -j2"

ac_add_options --x-libraries=/usr/lib
ac_add_options --disable-crashreporter
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-updater
ac_add_options --disable-mozril-geoloc
ac_add_options --disable-webrtc
ac_add_options --disable-safe-browsing
ac_add_options --disable-parental-controls
ac_add_options --enable-release
ac_add_options --disable-necko-wifi
ac_add_options --disable-eme
ac_add_options --disable-gamepad
ac_add_options --disable-dbus
ac_add_options --disable-gio
ac_add_options --disable-pulseaudio
ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --enable-install-strip
ac_add_options --enable-application=browser
ac_add_options --with-branding=browser/branding/newmoon
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O3 -march=i686 -mno-sse2"

Ideas?

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
I'm trying to build Pale Moon 2.8.2.1 on i686 w/ Debian 9 now. I've got all the dependencies listed on their Linux build guide webpage, and ./mach build keeps failing about a minute into the configuration with:

DEBUG: configure:12169: checking for gtk+-3.0 >= 3.4.0 gtk+-unix-print-3.0 glib-2.0 gobject-2.0
DEBUG: configure: error: Library requirements (gtk+-3.0 >= 3.4.0 gtk+-unix-print-3.0 glib-2.0 gobject-2.0 ) not met; consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.
ERROR: old-configure failed
*** Fix above errors and then restart with\
"/usr/bin/make -f client.mk build"

From what I've tried, those packages aren't available from the repos, and pkg-config has been configured to refer to /usr/lib with echo $PKG_CONFIG_PATH. And it still fails.

Here's my .mozconfig:

mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS="-s -j2"

ac_add_options --x-libraries=/usr/lib
ac_add_options --disable-crashreporter
ac_add_options --disable-debug
ac_add_options --disable-mozril-geoloc
ac_add_options --disable-safe-browsing
ac_add_options --enable-release
ac_add_options --disable-dbus
ac_add_options --disable-gio
ac_add_options --disable-pulseaudio
ac_add_options --enable-install-strip
ac_add_options --enable-application=browser
ac_add_options --with-branding=browser/branding/newmoon
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O3 -march=i686 -mno-sse2"

Ideas?
Try removing ac_add_options --x-libraries=/usr/lib. You shouldn't need to tell the compiler where libraries are located, as they should already be in your PATH.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
PM28 builds different from PM27/AF so you'll need to adjust mozconfig a little.
enable-application=application/palemoon (because more than 1 app builds on top of UXP)
Branding should be =application/palemoon/branding/unofficial
Also by default they use gtk3 now. To force it to build with gtk2 use --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: G4fanboy and z970

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
@sparty411 Up until around an hour ago, it was still building for all that time, never getting farther than the compile phase. I think it sort of ran out of memory (1 GB SDRAM, 2 GB swap), so I had to quit out of it and abandon the whole process.

Maybe it could have finished given enough time, but at that point, it was already nearly a full 24 hours, so I decided to can it and reclaim the machine.

I guess this means I'm gonna need to read up on cross-compiling from another box...

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
I compile it on a Core 2 Quad machine with 8GB of RAM, and it spits the build out in roughly 30 minutes. During the linking phase, it can chew up nearly 7GB of RAM, so I'm suspecting you ran out of memory, unless you have an enormous swap. I don't like doing long compilations on the old target machines, as it takes an eternity, and subjects them to unnecessary stress.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Yeah for UXP based browsers you'll need about 4 gig ram minimum, or 1gb ram with 4gb swap. It probably took that long because of all the swapping and lack thereof of swap/ram. PM28 built on my mac mini g4 in about 10 hours with a 5gb swap file.

Cheers

Reactions: z970 and sparty411

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
Well, this is new. In the configuration phase, I'm getting ERROR: Cannot find project browser. What do? I'm just trying to build Basilisk. If I change the line to ac_add_options --enable-application=palemoon I get the same error. I used Git to clone the UXP repo on Github.

Last edited:

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
You'll want --enable-application=application/palemoon (or =application/basilisk)
Also make sure you don't have application=browser in there somewhere as that's for pm27/AF.

Cheers

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
You'll want --enable-application=application/palemoon (or =application/basilisk)
Also make sure you don't have application=browser in there somewhere as that's for pm27/AF.

Cheers
I copied that verbatim, and no dice. Here is my .mozconfig -
Code:
export MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=1
mk_add_options AUTOCLOBBER=1
mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=/home/$USER/pmbuild/
ac_add_options --enable-application=application/palemoon
ac_add_options --enable-optimize="-O2"
ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk2
ac_add_options --enable-jemalloc
ac_add_options --with-pthreads
ac_add_options --disable-accessibility
I'm just trying to do a generic AMD64 build here.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Hmm. Looks ok from here. Did you pull a release branch or just the development branch? It's possible development branch might currently
be broken.

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
Hmm. Looks ok from here. Did you pull a release branch or just the development branch? It's possible development branch is currently broken.
Oh... How would I go about determining that? I copied the UXP GitHub repo's URL, and used Git clone from the CLI.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I suck at command line git. Just go to the uxp github page, click on releases at the top, choose which version you want, click download, then extract and build. :)
[automerge]1581043587[/automerge]
If you cloned from "master" that's the development unstable branch.

• Love

sparty411

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2018
Welp, I'm an idiot. I had been building from "master" successfully for quite a while, and had never considered the fact that it might eventually break lol. It's chugging away now, after downloading the stable source. D'oh!

Reactions: wicknix
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.