Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pacer69

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Trying to decide b/w a 2.2 and 2.4 black MacBook. Can any 2.2 owners verify if the 2.2 models are painted black or if the plastic itself is manufactured in black. Trying to avoid any potential flaking issues. Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've seen conflicting reports between the 2.2 and 2.4 cases being slightly different. Thanks.

brn2ski00

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
MA
No way, Apple grows special Black plastic towards the entrance of 1 Infinite Loop in Cupertino... ;)

marvel2

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Users of the 2.4 black macbooks claim it is made of a different material, yet it looks exactly the same. I am still a bit skeptical. My old core duo blackbook has never flaked and my current 2.2ghz blackbook does not show any signs of this either.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
Trying to decide b/w a 2.2 and 2.4 black MacBook. Can any 2.2 owners verify if the 2.2 models are painted black or if the plastic itself is manufactured in black. Trying to avoid any potential flaking issues. Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've seen conflicting reports between the 2.2 and 2.4 cases being slightly different. Thanks.

And we would confirm this for you, How?

IM not about to scrape mine just for you to know!--)))

Either way IM very content with my black macbook, painted, solid black or whatever -))))

Any other volunteers here willing to do so? Chime in!--)):p

mmoran27

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
They aren't painted. They just have a rubbery plastic as opposed to the new models that have the matte plastic.

i have a new 2.4 blackbook and it does not fingerprint like my old one did.

I havent had to wipe it down once since I got it. The other one I wiped after each use because of fingerprints.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
IM not about to scrape mine just for you to know!--)))

Any other volunteers here willing to do so? Chime in!--)):p

Some guy on Flickr was:
gerardvschip said:
Ok, had to know for sure, here is a nice deep cut inside the battery compartment inside my MacBook, as you can see it's black all the way through. Good news. Seems that brush scratching the matt black finish makes it look like a white scratch. Giving a light scratch a good hard rubb will make it black again.
200237375_9d851499a9.jpg

Edit: I just noticed, he posted the image in July 2006 (!), so it must have been the very first model Core Duo 2.0GHz Black MacBook!

http://flickr.com/photos/puckman/200237375/

Pacer69

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Well now that's exactly the kind of info I was seeking, everyone. Thanks so much. I suspected they had fixed that flaking issue after the first model in true Apple fashion, glad to see I am not surprised here.

So now the issue becomes do I get the 2.2 black or 2.4 black. I can get the 2.2 on closeout for $1139 from my Edu institution, or the 2.4 for $1399 from several vendors. As much as my bargain hunter side says get the cheap closeout, my Apple-geek side wants to have the latest and greatest, fastest, best battery-life machine.

Decisions, decisions...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.