Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
9to5Mac had an unrelated article about OLED burn-in mitigation in iOS 11 but they included this screenshot that references 32-bit apps.

oled-iphone-x.jpg

Could support for 32-bit apps be returning?

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
Very interesting question. Curious if anyone has some insight on this.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
If no device running iOS 11 supports 32-bit why would they need the flag?
Why have a flag that will never be switched?

that's like assuming that every single line of code in an os is essential, & functional. for whatever reason that's there, what are the odds apple would 'move backwards'? i mean, how often do they do this? (rosetta, remember, was a bridge in a transition, not a move back)...

Reactions: spitf1r3

nerdriot

macrumors regular
May 16, 2015

Because it’s more for the apps, not the OS itself.

I assume the flag checks for 32-bit apps in the App Store that have yet to be purged.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012

Legacy code. If you've ever done programming you'll recognize that you don't just pull a bunch of lines out because "we don't need them anymore." An operating system has millions of lines of code and removing one variable could cause it to crash even if that variable should be false from here on out. The code stays in and then slowly (hopefully) legacy code gets removed when proper auditing and testing can't be done.

nerdriot

macrumors regular
May 16, 2015
Legacy code. If you've ever done programming you'll recognize that you don't just pull a bunch of lines out because "we don't need them anymore." An operating system has millions of lines of code and removing one variable could cause it to crash even if that variable should be false from here on out. The code stays in and then slowly (hopefully) legacy code gets removed when proper auditing and testing can't be done.

Thank you for explaining that. I couldn’t get my brain to do that.

I need more coffee.

MrChurchyard

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2008
Mainly because it probably had checks for that flag since 10.x in various parts of the OS, ie to throw the alert that it won’t run, and it will take time to remove that. My guess is that it’s likely not a flag that was added now to retroactively allow 32bit, it’s probably an older flag that was introduced in the transition to 64bit.

It could also be used to make explicit that the device is even entirely unable to run 32bit apps—the wording was a bit vague but it sounded like the A11 chip is a 64bit-only architecture and is physically incapable of running code compiled for 32bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.