Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robd003

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
I'd like to use some kind of tracking system for $30k worth of photography equipment; however, it looks like Apple is really pushing this "anti-stalking" thing (https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2022/02/an-update-on-airtag-and-unwanted-tracking/) which seems pretty counterintuitive to helping you find your stolen item.

Isn't the thief just going to remove the AirTag once it starts chirping?

Is there a way to tell your AirTag to **not** chirp? (Disable the speaker by snipping wires?) Has anyone built custom firmware for the AirTags?

Are there better systems than the AirTag? I heard about Cube, but I'm not exactly excited to pay $17/month for tracking when AirTags have no recurring cost other than batteries.

Hunter5117

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
The only way AFAIK is to physically modify the Airtag to disable the speaker. You can find a number of how-to videos on Youtube. This is the reason I returned my Airtags back when they first came out, I did not want to have to hack them to do what you are talking about.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
AirTags aren’t meant for theft prevention/recovery, full stop. They’re to help you find something you’ve misplaced.

Apple is (rightly or wrongly) concerned about them being used maliciously, such as for stalking, so they’ve intentionally introduced behaviors that make AirTags unsuitable for that purpose.

You’ll want to find a different product.

Reactions: tgara and lostPod

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
Are there better systems than the AirTag?
For tracking stolen equipment? Yes, I'm sure there are because that's not the intended use for an AirTag.

I'd like to use some kind of tracking system for $30k worth of photography equipment;
but I'm not exactly excited to pay $17/month for tracking
If you're genuinely concerned it's likely to be stolen then $17/month for peace of mind sounds quite reasonable to me.

robd003

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
For tracking stolen equipment? Yes, I'm sure there are because that's not the intended use for an AirTag.

If you're genuinely concerned it's likely to be stolen then $17/month for peace of mind sounds quite reasonable to me.
I just find it absurd to pay more for tracking ($204/yr) than I pay for insurance ($150/yr).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.