Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gazumbo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2020
I've tried two different iPad Pro 12.9 4th gen models now and they both exhibit the same slight uneven screen uniformity. That being, when on a white/light background, the top right (when in landscape mode) is a little darker. In fact, about an inch of the whole right side is slightly darker but it's just more noticeable in the top right.

So before I go out and try a third, is this just how they are? I've looked online and seen the odd mention of it. More so with other models and with them it seems to be just how they're designed as even when people tried multiple replacements, it was no different. It's the type of thing you probably wouldn't notice unless looking for it but one of those once you see, you can't unsee things.

I admit that I am particularly picky about these things as I always seem to notice it for some reason. But, I always think for the cost of these things, they shouldn't have any noticeable uniformity issues.

georgivelev

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2011
I’ve had my 12.9” for a year and a half now and haven’t noticed any darker regions of the screen.

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
Hi! I've checked several reviews on YT and didn't notice a darker side of the screen as you described. Do you see it in any bright app or just some?

DarjeelingBrew

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2021
I've tried two different iPad Pro 12.9 4th gen models now and they both exhibit the same slight uneven screen uniformity. That being, when on a white/light background, the top right (when in landscape mode) is a little darker. In fact, about an inch of the whole right side is slightly darker but it's just more noticeable in the top right.

So before I go out and try a third, is this just how they are? I've looked online and seen the odd mention of it. More so with other models and with them it seems to be just how they're designed as even when people tried multiple replacements, it was no different. It's the type of thing you probably wouldn't notice unless looking for it but one of those once you see, you can't unsee things.

I admit that I am particularly picky about these things as I always seem to notice it for some reason. But, I always think for the cost of these things, they shouldn't have any noticeable uniformity issues.
I guess this issue of uneven backlighting is common across iPads regardless of model or make and plaguing many customers across the world.

It is a defect and probably Apple’s quality control is degrading. I say this because I have been using iPad Air 2 since 2014 to date and have not faced any such issues.

Deciding to upgrade, I purchased 2021 3rd Gen iPad Pro 11” 256 GB WiFi only device. It was delivered on Oct 8 and after setup I immediately noticed that the screen (held on potrait mode) appeared noticeably darker along the entire length of the right edge. iPads costs are exuberantly high here in India, so I ordered a replacement.

I got the replacement on Oct 21. I have been using it for four days now and there isn’t any significant darker areas. However, I have noticed the top left corner and bottom right corner appears slightly dimmer. I’m not sure about going for another replacement as it is like playing a game of chance.

The only sad thing is Apple not delivering quality product inspite of premium price tags. It is a rip off. I think I will stop purchasing Apple products in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.