Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 1, 2011
I bought my first Apple Watch, Series 9 45mm. From what I can tell these are fairly delicate and scratch easy. I prefer to have screen protectors and cases on all my stuff.

After researching, I bought this case (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09ZNW8ZCB) and these screen protectors (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HRTWP7B)

Trouble is, the case pushes up the screen protector and makes the crown difficult to use.

When I do physical work, I’m concerned I’ll damage the watch so I want the protection. Any suggestions here?

I’ve been using it without the case and just trying to be careful. It’s only been a few weeks and an unfortunate run in with dinner plate (yes a plate) and I already have my first scuff on the corner and a bit on the screen. So these watches are definitely more fragile than I’ll like so I need a solution.

Thanks!

Last edited:

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Get the stainless steel or titanium bodies with the sapphire display crystal and you'll never have to worry about it again. Tha aluminum/glass watches are extremely fragile. I replaced several before I just paid extra for steel and never looked back.

Reactions: bhodinut and dotnet

mikedop

macrumors 603
Dec 30, 2019
Oklahoma
Get the stainless steel or titanium bodies with the sapphire display crystal and you'll never have to worry about it again. Tha aluminum/glass watches are extremely fragile. I replaced several before I just paid extra for steel and never looked back.
Seconded. Sapphire crystal is so strong that I've never once gotten a scratch on my watch screen. Stainless body can and will scratch, sure, but they can be easily refinished with a $3 reusable cloth. There are people who have posted their results and it looks brand new. The PVD coated gold and graphite will pick up scratches more than the DLC Space Black, but still look good after use if you're careful.

All this to say, I'm personally not a fan of the big bulky cases. The stainless watches look and feel like proper jewelry.

Reactions: venom600 and dotnet

ridio

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2023
I would argue a case over your Apple Watch is even worse than no case. In my experience I had a pristine gold SS Apple Watch, I put a case around it for a couple of days cause I had to help people move and I was scared I would scrape it over the wall and ruin the body. I was horrified when I took off the case, the cases strap dust under them and all this dust left lasting imprints/scratches in the body of the Apple Watch. So if you have SS Apple Watch, stay away from cases.

Reactions: Abdichoudxyz

Abdichoudxyz

Suspended
May 16, 2023
Yep. The aluminium watches are disposable. Get those if you replace your watch every year. If you want it to last, get the stainless steel.
Lol! 'Disposable'. 🤣 What utter nonsense.

I've had a standard weak and fragile S7 for 2 years almost now, and it has only a couple of very minor scratches from heavy knocks. Practically invisible, I have to actually look for them in very good light. Actually very surprised. The 'Ion-X' glass on the S7 is is tougher than previous generations, apparently, but given the design of the watch itself, I'm very surprised it hasn't picked up more scratches tbh. I do all sorts of manual work, including mechanicking, woodwork, etc, and my watch is still in very good condition. If you are worried, this is good advice:

Put a wrist (sweat) band over your watch when doing physical work.
I use a piece cut from the wrist of an old pair of protective gloves, if I'm doing anything risky. Works perfectly. Or just take it off whilst you work. Or if you're really that worried about damaging a £400+ watch, then buy a cheap Casio. I kept my old G-Shock for just such purposes, but tbh I've never used it.

'Disposable'. 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Total Respray

dotzero123

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2018
Philadelphia Suburbs
An unpopular solution: I had a zagg glass protector installed at Best Buy. I can barely tell that it is on and feel good that I won't scratch the face. I occasionally put on a plastic bumper, but make sure to take it off and wipe watch down if I keep it on for more than 1 day.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I would argue a case over your Apple Watch is even worse than no case. In my experience I had a pristine gold SS Apple Watch, I put a case around it for a couple of days cause I had to help people move and I was scared I would scrape it over the wall and ruin the body. I was horrified when I took off the case, the cases strap dust under them and all this dust left lasting imprints/scratches in the body of the Apple Watch. So if you have SS Apple Watch, stay away from cases.
The SS is going to get scratched no matter what. The beauty of it is that if you don't like the patina you can buff the scratches out of SS.

ridio

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2023
The SS is going to get scratched no matter what. The beauty of it is that if you don't like the patina you can buff the scratches out of SS.
Not the gold or graphite ones. Those are coated and can’t be buffed.
After two years the only scratches on my gold SS are the ones that I got from putting a case on it for two days. Never again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.