Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marbles1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 27, 2011
Watching for all mankind, I get the sense that I'm never going to see blood/gore or any scenes too nasty. Deaths will happen off-screen if at all. Peril is rarely a thing, or resolved quickly. If you're a man you're going to be weak or a bit dumb; needing to be corrected by a woman. If you're a woman you're only held back by silly men or by society..

I love the show; it just feels so sanitised and constrained. The characters are black and white, the social issues stuff is pressed and pressed and pressed. Is the rest of Apple TV+ like this? It's a shame the show wasn't commissioned by a different network.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
I agree... watch "See" and tell me your jaw doesn't drop to the floor a few times. You're thinking OMG, Apple put this wholesome show on their network?

For All Mankind is a head scratcher for sure. Taking headlines and putting a different twist on them. I mean, women in space... so not a thing back then. The Cold War being more than it ever was back in the day. Pope assassinated as opposed to just shot. The old what if history was different. What if the women's movement and gay rights were accepted far earlier than it was... but on the flip side the whole Bay of Pigs thing never really went away as well. Was the world really a better place having accepted some things but not others?

It's taking a look at our world from a slightly different perspective. It's interesting and strange at the same time. Completely lost on those folks not alive when any of it actually happened. They are probably completely unaware of the changes made by the show except for the truly obvious. This isn't a historical retelling of the space program although outward appearances would lead you to believe that it was. I think that's why season two fast-forward to the 80's... to break away from the 60's space program nostalgia.

Reactions: Wackery

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Watching for all mankind, I get the sense that I'm never going to see blood/gore or any scenes too nasty. Deaths will happen off-screen if at all. Peril is rarely a thing, or resolved quickly. If you're a man you're going to be weak or a bit dumb; needing to be corrected by a woman. If you're a woman you're only held back by silly men or by society..

I love the show; it just feels so sanitised and constrained. The characters are black and white, the social issues stuff is pressed and pressed and pressed. Is the rest of Apple TV+ like this? It's a shame the show wasn't commissioned by a different network.

Why not watch something and find out?

Reactions: shotts56

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002

Would blood and gore make the show better? Not sure why it needs that stuff.

If you think Apple only has “wholesome” content, I bet “Losing Alice” can change your mind pretty fast.

masochist

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2017
Would blood and gore make the show better? Not sure why it needs that stuff.

If you think Apple only has “wholesome” content, I bet “Losing Alice” can change your mind pretty fast.
In an age where things like Game of Thrones set the standard for what people expect, anything that falls short is considered subpar. I genuinely question the folks who want to see that kind of thing. Even as a masochist.

SpeQ

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2014
I think there are two different things going on here. There is Apple's history of censorship, and then there are the current trends in filmmaking, such as strong female roles, more diverse casting, etc. I see a lot of the same trends OP is referring to in a lot, if not most of, Netflix content.

I don't think Apple has recently made a clear statement of what it will or will not produce/broadcast on Apple TV+. I recall there was mention of "clean" content when they first announced it, but I haven't heard much of it since. If I've missed that, I'd love to see it.

Personally, I don't go looking for gore or any of the other types of commonly censored content, but I also don't want to watch content that is sanitized to the point that it doesn't reflect reality. There has to be a balance.

Reactions: CrimsonKnight

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Just because Apple might want to only produce family friendly fare for Apple TV+ (Which, BTW, is not the case) that is not "censorship."

SpeQ

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2014
that is not "censorship."
I didn't say it was, specifically, but what else would you call it when someone controls content based on moral parameters? It's not censorship in the traditional sense, but the end result is the same - you are preventing content from reaching the viewer. Whether that is by 'bleeping-out' curse words, or refusing to green-light a film project is irrelevant.

I think you missed the point of my comment, which is this: There is a perception that Apple controls content. That perception, along with new overall trends in filmmaking may be responsible for the impression the OP is getting.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Regardless, all one has to do go actually look at the offerings available on the TV+ Channel. The ratings include everything from TV-Y, to TV-13 to TV-MA as well as movies rated PG, PG-13, and R. The charge that Apple is “censoring” the content simply doesn’t hold up.

Reactions: SuperMatt

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Yup, all scifi is about overcoming tyranny and freeing those captive by said tryans.
no off the wall humor, jokes or material that is uplifting and mind challenging !

SYCAMOREGRAD

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Indianapolis

The show is fantastic. I just finished season two. There’s plenty of gory scenes, but nothing over the top.

||\||

Suspended
Nov 21, 2019
You sound triggered. ?

• Haha
Reactions: mallbritton

Bluetoot-

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2020
It’s hard to put my finger on it. I’ve tried to articulate Apple TV content in the past. It’s present in Ted Lasso; it’s “unexpected” for the sake of scoring points. It’s a funny show, but there are these little “cringe” moments here and there. Like in the first episode where the former club coach says the most painfully, obviously misogynistic thing to the owner of the club. Really? Despite this, the show pulls it off mostly.

You have to ask yourself: who’s the target audience? If such a thing as Apple TV existed a decade ago, it would have shows for nerds (even though every keynote featured beautiful 20 somethings hanging out on a beach in iPhoto, it’s nerds who were buying their wares). Apple has grown exponentially; it’s a lifestyle/values
company that caters to a certain segment of the population (millennials, 30 somethings with progressive values). Yes, grandma owns an iPhone, but that’s lagniappe as far as Apple is concerned; they want the young folks who are all in on hardware and services.
TV+ doesn’t really speak to me but Apple can probably make it without my subscription to their service. It would be nice if there was more content that appealed to me, but I have pretty weird tastes.

P.S. I never really gave much thought to a company selling values. We’re familiar with companies selling sex and aspirations, but values? That’s a interesting movement. “Ethical capitalism”, lol.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.