Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
we are looking at an iPad with sky mobile in the UK as they have some good deals but I want to use a EE SIM card with it. just wondered if they come unlocked so we can use any network provider?

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
I’m from the United States and I just read this article to verify that any iPad purchased in the United States is unlocked from the get-go some carriers hold it for 60 days now for iPads outside the United States I don’t know. Good luck.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
OP if the Sky iPad price is better than the Apple price by a meaningful amount, there is probably some "lock" so they get at least the difference- if not more- back. If the price is about the same as Apple- give or take a small percentage- it is probably unlocked... like buying one directly from Apple.

If in doubt, actually read the fine print and/or ask Sky (and then confirm if they say "unlocked" by reading the fine print).

The objective for every seller will be to get close to the Apple price- give or take- for each unit sale. Any exceptional bait vs. Apple pricing probably has a hidden hook in it. See "free*" iPhones vs. the unlocked price of iPhone on the Apple website.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesMay82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.