Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
With having to use your main provider as a esim for your postpaid and then leave the sim slot free for any other plan you want that is cheap.

Any disadvantage except more battery usage ?

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
I found a free plan which is pretty amazing.

Has only 1000 text, a little bit of data, and like 100 minutes of phone calls but still.

Sense I will need proof here it is.

picture.jpg

Last edited:

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
Freedom pop does actually offer a free plan, but it makes you attach a credit/debit card..in case you ever want to upgrade service. They are a scummy company though, and sometimes "accidentally" upgrade you to a paid plan. If you do get their service, use a privacy.com card with like a $1 limit or something, or an almost depleted prepaid card.

I used them with a iPad mini for a few years, and they did try to charge me but it of course never went though. Service still worked until I sold the iPad.

Last edited:

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
I found a free plan which is pretty amazing.

Has only 1000 text, a little bit of data, and like 100 minutes of phone calls but still.

Sense I will need proof here it is.

View attachment 2024080
They claim to not be using VoIP tech and just normal numbers now, but services like Venmo still don't accept my phone number with FreedomPop as valid. It's a huge pain.

lostPod

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2022
Freedom pop does actually offer a free plan, but it makes you attach a credit/debit card..in case you ever want to upgrade service. They are a scummy company though, and sometimes "accidentally" upgrade you to a paid plan. If you do get their service, use a privacy.com card with like a $1 limit or something, or an almost depleted prepaid card.

I used them with a iPad mini for a few years, and they did try to charge me but it of course never went though. Service still worked until I sold the iPad.
I have used freedom pop several times. The company is kinda scummy and customer services is crap. But it is free. I bet they sell your data usage or something though lol.

Reactions: max2

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I have Verizon (main esim) and Mint Mobile (secondary esim). I have some relatives with Mint and wanted to try it out. It's so cheap that I just pre-paid a year and have been using 2 esim carriers on my phone now for a month.

I find that when Verizon has no reception, Mint (T-Mobile) usually has really good reception, and the other way around - when Mint has poor reception, Verizon is usually pretty strong. I'm in Southern CA so around downtown LA and other places - T-Mobile seems to have more places with better reception...

Anyway, I haven't noticed any effect on battery life. Switching between the two is pretty seamless and kinda fun. It has been pretty handy in places that I normally wouldn't have reception. I find it pretty cool how when Verizon has no reception, it can use Mint's cellular service for "wifi" like reception.

Obviously Mint isn't as cheap as Freedom Pop.

Reactions: max2 and lostPod

ght56

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2020
Presently I am using Mint and it is good. With Mint, you can use Wifi calling, which not all MVNOs allow.

I've also used Twigby, which is dirt cheap (and uses Verizon) - also good, although no wifi calling.

Data speeds are obviously sometimes slower, but for general use internet, I have no issues.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.