Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 7, 2010
How do you guys clean your phone? Say if your friend with oily hands eats a snack then touches your phone and hits that touchid button or screen. What is the best way to clean it without damaging anything or being too harsh on it or taking off the oleophobic coating?

Sparkeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Indiana
How do you guys clean your phone? Say if your friend with oily hands eats a snack then touches your phone and hits that touchid button or screen. What is the best way to clean it without damaging anything or being too harsh on it or taking off the oleophobic coating?

Spray a little water/dish detergent mixture onto a microfiber cloth and wipe. Then ban friend with oily hands from touching.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
My shirt. Usually the left sleeve. If it's really bad, I'll use a napkin, but most of my friends know not to handle my phone with gross hands (kids are excluded from my rules).

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
My shirt. Usually the left sleeve. If it's really bad, I'll use a napkin, but most of my friends know not to handle my phone with gross hands (kids are excluded from my rules).

Same here. Shirt 99% of the time.

:apple:

Starrbuck

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
All I ever use is a microfiber cloth and nothing else. You don't want to use anything that's ammonia or alcohol based.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.

I don't use cleaners. Drop of water and a microfiber cloth will clean everything.

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
Don't fall into that "specialized" sprays BS. Use a microfiber cloth or eyeglasses cloth. It's not a car, you don't need specialized sprays and wax.

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
You guys do know that water and microfiber doesnt dissenfect the phone. And phones have a tendency of having more bacteria than your toilet seat...

I used those lysol wipes with all my iphones with no ill effects Obviously, just make sure you completely dry off the phone with the mircofiber.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I work in a hospital. Alcohol swabs to the front and back every other day followed ba microfiber cloth. No problems on my 5S or generations prior.

Reactions: Vanilla35

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
That would be a good test. Use some type of anti bacterial wipe on half the screen. See how long it takes to wear away the olephobic film. But once it has worn away, yeah no issues at all to use standard glass cleaners.

JohnnyAppleTV

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2014
Two Words: Phone Soap

Phone Soap! Google It! Pure awesome sauce... though not quite as cheap as chlorox wipes. Definitely safer for electronics though.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.