Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Hey all,
Just a quick question. I recently purchased a dedicated scanner vs an all in one since I don't have a need to print like I used to, and really didn't want the expensive of keeping ink filled only to print once a year (if that.)
Anyway, I was curious as to whether or not, wiping the glass off with eye glass cleaning wipes is safe. It's been quite a few years since I've owned any kind of real quality scanner, so wanted to make sure my information was up to date when it comes to care and cleaning.

Model of scanner is the Epson Perfection V600.

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
I had a copier/scanner for 10 years and do not remember ever having to clean the glass (or perhaps using anything other than a damp cloth with water) but I would guess that you are okay using any formulation that is safe for eye glasses.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
I had a copier/scanner for 10 years and do not remember ever having to clean the glass (or perhaps using anything other than a damp cloth with water) but I would guess that you are okay using any formulation that is safe for eye glasses.
Thanks, The wipes I have smell like they have an alcohol based solution and they aren't wet enough hold moisture they dry almost instantly after a single use. As far as having to clean the glass, I don't see myself having to either. In fact the only thing I would probably want to do is just wipe off any fingerprints, or dust that might get on the glass just from time and use.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
^^^This.

The wipes won't hurt the scanner glass, but could be a problem for eyeglasses, camera lenses, so, toss them and go to the local big-box store, drug store, Amazon and pick up a bottle of lens cleaner for treated/coated lenses. Safe for lenses and scanner, spray bottle for easy use, bottle size will provide for any months of usage, and only about $3.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
^^^This.

The wipes won't hurt the scanner glass, but could be a problem for eyeglasses, camera lenses, so, toss them and go to the local big-box store, drug store, Amazon and pick up a bottle of lens cleaner for treated/coated lenses. Safe for lenses and scanner, spray bottle for easy use, bottle size will provide for any months of usage, and only about $3.
Thanks, will do. Sounds like this is a good solution for the iMac screen as well.

Reactions: NoBoMac

tizeye

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2013
Orlando, FL
I use Zeiss Lens Wipes that is quick drying/evaporating alcohol based solution on a microfine tissue. I use them on what they are advertised for glasses, sport goggles, camera lens, binoculars as designed for glass/plastic with anti-reflective coatings. Sometimes when still moist after cleaning an item will 'clean' the iPhone screen - which lasts about 10 minutes. Never break open a package just for that.

For scanners and monitors, they are really too large and while not streaking, it is uneven from missed areas. With a scanner in particular, it doesn't have high end multi-coated glass that potentially distort the scan. For manufacturers, it is not really worth the expense when quality clear glass will do. Never clean a monitor hot that accelerates evaporation, clean before turning on. Occasionally on a scanner will use Windex, but usually for both it is plain water on damp paper towel. Finish drying with a lint free microfiber cloth. Lint and dust is your worst enemy on a scanner and many times will use the "rocket ship" air blower on the scanner.

Reactions: MacinMan

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Since the glass has a cover that keeps dust off, you should not need to wipe it with any solution as long as you don't touch the glass and leave fingerprints on it. If you leave smudges (or fingerprints) on the glass and want to remove them, use one of the lens cleaning solutions found at most eyewear shops, Walmart, Amazon, and so on. For example, "equate" brand comes in an 8-ounce (236mL) spray bottle. Another eyeglass cleaner found at most stores is made by Zeiss.

a. Never wet-wipe the glass if there is dust on it. To remove dust, use a microfiber towelette (small microfiber towel that is found at most retail stores in a bundle that contains several towels). Fold the towel and wipe the glass lightly from one edge to the other. Avoid putting pressure on it; just move the towel across the glass very lightly.

b. If the glass has smudges, follow step "a" above to remove the dust, then spray some of the glass cleaning solution near the corner of another microfiber towel, and wipe the smudges off with this towel.

Don't use eyewear lens cleaner for cleaning camera lenses.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.