Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
It took me years to switch over to VLC and now I can't stand to use anything else. My only gripe is it's difficult (not really supported) to have multiple VLC instances running at the same time. But I only rarely have the need to do that anyway.

Have never used GIMP but I know it's one of the oldest and most respected open source apps in the world.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
It took me years to switch over to VLC and now I can't stand to use anything else. My only gripe is it's difficult (not really supported) to have multiple VLC instances running at the same time. But I only rarely have the need to do that anyway.

Have never used GIMP but I know it's one of the oldest and most respected open source apps in the world.

We used to be able to just get VLC to open with the media loading right away. Now it has a pre-screen like a real player, with internet, streaming, a history, etc. And then it (auto) loads the media.

When I got my mac pro in 2006 i stress tested it by loading a directory of dvd files and > open with vlc > it started playing it all at once. Was amazing in expose.

Kinda miss that vlc player, but yeah - it is still my goto player on the mac, dont;' use anything else really

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
If you just want a simple player like QuickTime, mpv is a decent alternative. Just avoid MPlayerX, it is distributed with adware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.