Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
I have the standalone version of Lightroom 6 on my Mac. When I try importing HEIC files I can't seem to do so. Is Lightroom 6 compatible with HEIC files?

I have a MacBook Pro (2015) and am running Mojave 10.14.6. I'm wondering if there is a setting I need to tweak?

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I don't think any version of LR, even the newest one, supports HEIC.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
I don't think any version of LR, even the newest one, supports HEIC.
I'm using Lightroom Classic version 11.0.1 and it can read my HEIC files without any issues.

I have the standalone version of Lightroom 6 on my Mac. When I try importing HEIC files I can't seem to do so. Is Lightroom 6 compatible with HEIC files?

I have a MacBook Pro (2015) and am running Mojave 10.14.6. I'm wondering if there is a setting I need to tweak?
I suspect that Lightroom 6 is too old to support HEIC.

Reactions: Apple_Glen_UK

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
oh, I guess that they are readable in some versions. probably you'd get a more definitive answer if you google on your own, which is what i did to answer your question. ..... sigh

I did do a Google search but before I knew it I had several tabs open and I was none the wiser. I thought perhaps someone here would know. Thank you.

So, my next question (!); is there an app or website that converts HEIC to JPG but also keeps the metadata?

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
So, my next question (!); is there an app or website that converts HEIC to JPG but also keeps the metadata?

I made an Automator workflow that does this. You can give it try. It appears to preserve metadata.

The second step of duplicating the files is important because otherwise the originals will be overwritten. I'd test everything on files that you have backups of elsewhere before committing to covering entire folders of images.

Attachments

• Convert_HEIC_to_JPEG.zip
    50.4 KB · Views: 162
Reactions: Apple_Glen_UK

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
I made an Automator workflow that does this. You can give it try. It appears to preserve metadata.

The second step of duplicating the files is important because otherwise the originals will be overwritten. I'd test everything on files that you have backups of elsewhere before committing to covering entire folders of images.

I couldn't help myself and also made a version using Shortcuts in Monterey. It seems to work a little better than the Automater version and offers finer control over the output quality. It also preserves the metadata.

Attachments

• Convert HEIC to JPEG.shortcut.zip
    11.8 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England

Thank you for the info!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.