Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

halloleo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
On my Synology NAS I create some big disk images (with Apple file systems on them). The end result should be read-only, so I have tried sparse bundles with read-only permissions and read-only DMGs.

Both work fine once created, but the creation of the DMGs fails quite often. So this makes sparse bundles the better choice.

However I am worried because the bundles sit on a (non-Apple) NAS and really are directories. I'm concerned when I move them around on the NAS they might get corrupted.

Does anybody have experience with sparse bundles stored on NASes?

I am using macOS Mojave and Catalina, but will soon upgrade both machines to Catalina.

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
I haven't had a problem with this. As you say, the sparse bundle is actually just a directory, so if you mess in any way with the contents of that directory, you are screwed. Just be advised that, with very large bundles, performance over the network might not be so good--in particular, it can take a long time to mount the bundle.

halloleo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
I haven't had a problem with this.
Thanks a lot, good to know. So you have bundles stored on a NAS and you can mount and read them without trouble?
Just be advised that, with very large bundles, performance over the network might not be so good--in particular, it can take a long time to mount the bundle.
Can you give me an indication what "large" means? GBs or TBs? What means "long time" to mount? Minutes? Hours?

VideoFreek

Contributor
May 12, 2007
Philly
Thanks a lot, good to know. So you have bundles stored on a NAS and you can mount and read them without trouble?

Can you give me an indication what "large" means? GBs or TBs? What means "long time" to mount? Minutes? Hours?
Yes, I can mount and read them.

Regarding performance, YMMV, but on my system mounting a 420GB bundle over gigabit wired ethernet from my QNAP NAS takes around 1-2 minutes. Once mounted, browsing the directory tree and opening files is fairly snappy. I use such remote bundles mainly for archival purposes (e.g., backup system images), and as such I don't access them very often.

halloleo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
Yes, I can mount and read them.

Regarding performance, YMMV, but on my system mounting a 420GB bundle over gigabit wired ethernet from my QNAP NAS takes around 1-2 minutes. Once mounted, browsing the directory tree and opening files is fairly snappy. I use such remote bundles mainly for archival purposes (e.g., backup system images), and as such I don't access them very often.
Thanks for the details. BTW, my use of the images is exactly the same: backed up macOS systems.

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
I have done backups to sparse bundle images on Synology NASes with no issues. While I have never done a full restore from one, when I mount and inspect them, never a problem.

Same purpose...backed up bootable OS. The largest has probably been about 70GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.