Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agincourt

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
EDIT: In light of recent responses since I created this thread, I have since stopped with the conspiracy theories. The problem which prompted this has been identified and corrected. No further questions or solutions are needed with regard to this opening post. I realize the idea was silly now and regret framing it as such. I now know better.

Okay I've got an obsolete Intel MacBook Pro (2019) and have recently begun to notice some extreme delays in basic processes. While surfing Safari something as basic as stoping a video on YouTube with a curser click literally takes 4 or five seconds to respond. One would think the input wasn't good, but the video stops and restarts based on how many times one clicks.

I'm not doing any high-end functions, my RAM isn't anywhere near its max of 16 GB, and yet I'm experiencing significant delays in basic inputs... making me wonder whether Apple is deliberately slowing such functions to compel me to buy one of their silicon notebooks. I do understand that Apple will likely stop supporting intel machines sooner than later, but the idea that they would sabotage those who bought their older generation products?!

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Like they did with the iOS on their iPhones to 'save battery power'?
Yea, a complete technical misunderstanding *that put major focus on this kind of thing*.

You’re theorizing without any evidence, or attempt to troubleshoot, that Apple has done the same thing in the middle of anti-competitive investigations with the spotlight on their own silicon products.

What have you done to resolve the issue on your end? What are your specs? What extensions do you have installed? What ancient programs with Kext files are installed?

Maybe start with data and information and see if we can resolve the issue before throwing unfounded accusations into the forum?

Agincourt

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
You do understand that YouTube is a moving performance target and their website is getting more and more demanding over time?
That would entail that the FEED is being slowed. I'm talking about on the Apple end that when I simply stop a video it takes ~4 seconds for the input to register.

I'm talking basic functions on the computer that are being slowed by a significant margin. If this is due to malware I downloaded or something, I'd be interested to know how I'd track that. Otherwise I've noticed this on a few other older machines where basic functions seem to take longer now than they did ~5 years ago.

JinxVi

Suspended
Dec 13, 2023
Otherwise I've noticed this on a few other older machines where basic functions seem to take longer now than they did ~5 years ago.
That's like reverse culture shock. When you first move to Apple Silicon everything seems to happen instantaneously, but when you move back to older machines previously normal delays seem totally unacceptable now. Human time perception and memory from five years ago aren't reliable anyway. If you're happy, time moves faster.

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
about on the Apple end that when I simply stop a video it takes ~4 seconds for the input to register.

I'm talking basic functions on the computer that are being slowed by a significant margin.
This specific example is neither on Apple’s end nor a basic function of the computer, it’s JavaScript code served to your computer along the rest of the webpage. Some websites run a ton of terribly slow code, some don’t.

Are you seeing the issue anywhere outside of browsing? e.g. Preview hanging, Messages loading your conversations slowly, apps taking a long time to launch?

wnorris

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2008
That would entail that the FEED is being slowed. I'm talking about on the Apple end that when I simply stop a video it takes ~4 seconds for the input to register.

I'm talking basic functions on the computer that are being slowed by a significant margin. If this is due to malware I downloaded or something, I'd be interested to know how I'd track that. Otherwise I've noticed this on a few other older machines where basic functions seem to take longer now than they did ~5 years ago.
OS versions and apps grow in size (lines of code/complexity) over time. This consumes both RAM and processing power. Everyone should expect a computer to slow to some extent over time. That said, it is odd that a laptop with 16gb of RAM from '19 is that slow. Have you tried using a different browser or tried to remove browser extensions that could be the culprit?

Reactions: kc9hzn

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I might have missed something here but the OP doesn’t even mention what version of macOS he is running. Or even if he’s tried basic stuff like restarting or clearing cache.

Others have already suggested he check other standard apps to see if they are running slowly or ineffiently.

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
Okay I've got an obsolete Intel MacBook Pro (2019) and have recently begun to notice some extreme delays in basic processes. While surfing Safari something as basic as stoping a video on YouTube with a curser click literally takes 4 or five seconds to respond. One would think the input wasn't good, but the video stops and restarts based on how many times one clicks.

I'm not doing any high-end functions, my RAM isn't anywhere near its max of 16 GB, and yet I'm experiencing significant delays in basic inputs... making me wonder whether Apple is deliberately slowing such functions to compel me to buy one of their silicon notebooks. I do understand that Apple will likely stop supporting intel machines sooner than later, but the idea that they would sabotage those who bought their older generation products?!

At this point I can't say I'm really surprised, given Apple's greed. Does anyone else have similar experiences?
Safari is the worst browser out there. Maybe that is the issue.

Agincourt

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
OS versions and apps grow in size (lines of code/complexity) over time. This consumes both RAM and processing power. Everyone should expect a computer to slow to some extent over time. That said, it is odd that a laptop with 16gb of RAM from '19 is that slow. Have you tried using a different browser or tried to remove browser extensions that could be the culprit?
Could you clarify 'browser extensions'? I'm not seeking new computer. If it's simple then I'd be glad to be branded as an idiot than pay >$1000 USD.

From the responses this isn't typical and it's a 'me' problem.

Agincourt

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
I've also noticed similar problems with the Windows partition apps, but that's an entirely different OS on top of Mac 13.2

Restarted and RAM is showing closer to its maximum than normal with only Safari open. If it's that which is slow, then I'll have to consider another web browser. Only thing is I'm extremely intolerant to changes like this. However if this is the new norm, then I'll have to change.

Agincourt

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
How is a 2019 Mac obsolete?
Allegedly all Intel machines were rendered as such in the same manner as the Power PC when Apple switched to Intel back in 2006. They supported those for a time but dropped them much sooner than the first generation Intel machines.

From the replies this isn't typical. Still my machine depreciated much faster than the first generation silicon MacBook Pro.

AppleiPhone4lyfe

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2013
I have a late 2013 Intel MacBook Pro with 16 GB of ram and it still runs like the day I bought it. I am meticulous about deleting offloaded app files in "library," occasionally use Malwarebytes to double check malware, and now use OCLP to get the newest updates, but it starts up and runs just as quickly as ever, even when using Safari. The last official update did however give my Macbook a 50% chance of shutting down if it's not plugged in during startup (which is too much of a coincidence to seem unintentional), but that is its only drawback.

Juraj22

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2020
Well, Google is targeting Ads blocking software. If you are using it, you will experience delays for google services. I still have and use Macbook pro 2018 with intel and it works the same as it was working when new. It does have replaced battery, because at this point it was really bad. It is fine.

but if you ever experienced arm macs, all intel macs feels "slow" and "hot" and "noisy".

Safari is good, no issues with it. Check what extensions are you using, this is typically the issue.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Allegedly all Intel machines were rendered as such in the same manner as the Power PC when Apple switched to Intel back in 2006. They supported those for a time but dropped them much sooner than the first generation Intel machines.

From the replies this isn't typical. Still my machine depreciated much faster than the first generation silicon MacBook Pro.
Nothing is obsolete about a 2019 MBP... It is not the latest and greatest technology, but Apple hasn't even called it "vintage" or stopped servicing it yet.

Up until three months ago, I had a 2017 13" MBP that actually was classified as vintage this year, and other than being a space heater and not officially supporting Sonoma, it wasn't obviously laggy very often at all.

Anyway, it seems like by now you've realized your MBP's behavior isn't typical. It might've been a better choice to ask for help and possible solutions first, before jumping right to a massive scandal.

Agincourt

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Also if anyone wants to label me a conspiracy theorist please do so.

I had the misfortune of getting a 2008 unibody pro that didn't turn on unless it was physically warm. I then went on to get a secondhand 2011 pro with defective video processor that burned out two years ago. I'm used to being disappointed by Apple but figure it's easier taking the disappointment now and again than trusting a Windows-brand computer.

Yes, I have been burned a few times with Apple in the past and am glad this doesn't appear to be another.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention I got an iBook G4 (2005) with defective display which Apple kindly took care of at their expense.

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I actually just did a clean install of 14.2 on a friend’s 2019 MacBook Air the other day using internet recovery and wiping the drive.

I couldn’t believe how slow the machine is on a fresh install. Those Y series i5’s are brutal. The 2017 Air, with a processor from 2015, actually feels faster.

• Haha
Reactions: mr_jomo and midkay

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan

At this point I can't say I'm really surprised, given Apple's greed. Does anyone else have similar experiences?

I have a 2019 Mac Pro and I’m running Monterey. I’ve noticed FCP get noticeably slower with the recent updates. Safari has also gotten slower.

Apple addressed some of this a few years back when they admitted that they only build the OS to take advantage of hardware that is 2 generations old. After that, they do make sure it works for, typically, 5-7 years from release date, but they don’t optimize the OS or software for the older hardware.

Basically, this is slowing stuff down. Apple’s position is that this reduces lines of code thereby making the software for efficient.

I’m not sure I buy that argument but it is their position.

Last edited:

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
Intel Apple computers are not being deliberately slowed by apple

I don’t really get why this is your first conclusion

Software is generally optimized to take advantage of newer hardware

Having said that, 2019 iMac isn’t that old. If it’s suddenly slowed significantly maybe there is something else going on

Incidentally I’m running macOS on brand new intel computer and it has never felt snappier. So again, nothing to do with intel

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.