Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noeXzTi_

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2018
getLocation()
In Internet there are mixed opinions about whether MacBooks with Apple Silicon chips that have the 2016 MacBook Pro exterior design (MacBook Air M1 and MacBook Pro 13" M1/M2) are affected by the fatigue present on the display flex cable due to opening and closing the lid, so I would like to ask here if anyone have experienced the famous "flexgate" issue on these models of MacBook.

If anyone is going to reply that Apple fixed the problem with 2018 MacBook Pro models, extending the flex cable 2mm didn't fix the issue (only delayed it at best).

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
Well, as is usual with these things you're likely to only hear from folks with problems, and I don't think there are (m)any. I spend a lot of time in Apple and Mac communities, and I don't recall seeing a single display-related issue with the older-style M1 MacBooks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MacCheetah3

JMStearnsX2

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2020
When did your workplace started to use the MacBooks? What model are they? (Air M1, Pro Touch Bar M1/M2)
All M1 & M2 Models. Air, MacBook Pro 13" 14" & 16". We started issuing them as soon as they were available through our Apple portal (usually within a week of public availability).

Odessa

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2021
my gf's 14" m1 pro (2021) has, since yesterday, a 1px vertical line of red/pink color showing up intermittently. it seems that this would qualify as 'dustgate'? (some dust or debris getting stuck and piercing through the data line) she take great care of the laptop and don't even use it that often but she always close it when she doesn't need it.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Flexgate only affects 2016 and 2017 model 13-inch MacBook Pros. I've heard wind of it also happening on some 2016 and 2017 models of 15-inch MacBook Pro as well, but that's nowhere near as common. Apple started putting in a cable of the proper length from the beginning on 2018 and newer models. Which is to say, 2018 and newer MacBook Pros (up to and including the newest M2, M2 Pro, and M2 Max based 13-inch, 14-inch, and 16-inch MacBook Pros) are unaffected.

Reactions: hobowankenobi

Odessa

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2021
Apple gave an extra 3mm to the cable, that is still very short and it's the same cable in the end...
Beside, there is that dustgate issue as well that affect the data line, i found a few people complaining about that with newer macbook pro on /r/macbookrepair :(

Just a quick search on youtube and i found one person with m1 macbook that has flexgate:

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Apple gave an extra 3mm to the cable, that is still very short and it's the same cable in the end...
Beside, there is that dustgate issue as well that affect the data line, i found a few people complaining about that with newer macbook pro on /r/macbookrepair :(

Just a quick search on youtube and i found one person with m1 macbook that has flexgate:

Flexgate is not a widespread issue on anything other than 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pros and, again, mostly 13-inch models. They used longer cables across the board after that. That's not to say that newer machines won't have flex cable issues. Just that it's not going to be a part of a widespread issue.

I have 5 M1 MacBook Airs and 2 M1 13-inch MacBook Pros. Nothing even remotely resembling Flexgate on any of them.

lulenger

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2023
Flexgate is not a widespread issue on anything other than 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pros and, again, mostly 13-inch models. They used longer cables across the board after that. That's not to say that newer machines won't have flex cable issues. Just that it's not going to be a part of a widespread issue.

I have 5 M1 MacBook Airs and 2 M1 13-inch MacBook Pros. Nothing even remotely resembling Flexgate on any of them.

It is less widespread than the 2016 MacBook Pro, yet the same problems can occur within newer MacBooks. My MB Air from 2020 with M1 chip, for example, has the same issues described within the Flexgate problem from 2016. You can open the display until a certain degree without having any problems. But going over that degree, the colours tunr negative.
Adding a few mm of cable does not resolve the issue of overstretching them while opening up the MacBook. So I think, there is still a Flexgate within newer MacBooks, until Apple gets rid of the flex cables and starts using more thicker, stronger ones.

Reactions: Odessa

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
It is less widespread than the 2016 MacBook Pro, yet the same problems can occur within newer MacBooks. My MB Air from 2020 with M1 chip, for example, has the same issues described within the Flexgate problem from 2016. You can open the display until a certain degree without having any problems. But going over that degree, the colours tunr negative.
Adding a few mm of cable does not resolve the issue of overstretching them while opening up the MacBook. So I think, there is still a Flexgate within newer MacBooks, until Apple gets rid of the flex cables and starts using more thicker, stronger ones.
Colors inverting is not the same issue though. I'm not saying your M1 Air isn't having an issue related to the video cable. But, on top of not being anywhere near as common, that's not the same issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.