Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henhowc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I recall back in the day when I used to be into overclocking on the PC/desktop side of things, people used to swear by matched ram kits for dual channel/overclocking stability.

Would this be an issue when trying to upgrade my MBP to 4GB of RAM? Obviously overclocking is out of the question but I'm wondering if there will be slightly slower performance or possibly stability issues.

The reason I ask is because the price differential between buying two sticks of 2GB of ram separately compared to a 2x2GB kit (depending on where you're shopping).

See Frys Pricing

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Matching sticks for dual channel but using 2x1Gb and 1x1GB will not affect dual channel that much.

There have been a few independent tests using 3GB RAM and the outcome was that "I wish I had done this sooner" heh

I'd go with the 2x2GB RAM, you'll love how fast the MB/MBP runs.

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
Yup, a "matching" pair of sticks is really only important for people who want to overclock their memory. Such packs consist of modules with memory chips from the same batch, which means they will likely have nearly identical overclocking potential, etc.

Other than that there will be no difference AT ALL compared to using 2 regular 2GB sticks bought seperately.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Yup, a "matching" pair of sticks is really only important for people who want to overclock their memory. Such packs consist of modules with memory chips from the same batch, which means they will likely have nearly identical overclocking potential, etc.

Overclocking is not easy on a Mac, and is rarely if ever attempted.
You can add to the list when you order single modules that they come from "Make, model and batch". We match batches as a matter of course when shipping RAM, as will any reputable vendor.

using 2x1Gb and 1x1GB will not affect dual channel that much.
Umm, well, it pretty much eliminates dual channel... its a binary thing, you either have dual channel or single channel, no part measures.

What I think you meant to say was that 2 Gb + 1 Gb = 3 Gb forces the machine into single channel mode, however the benefit of the extra Gb usually outweighs the small loss in realworld speed by dropping from Dual to Single.

2 x 2 Gb gives you back the 6 - 8% increase in overall speed with Dual Channel, it just costs more.

I think the original question was whether paying a price premium for a dual channel pair in one package was worth it, and that answer is No.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.