Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zerrisk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
I have several offline maps downloaded on Google Maps and am getting a new vehicle with CarPlay soon. I was wondering if offline maps is support/usable.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Yes, it will. I have my town downloaded for offline use. One thing that shocked me was during a particular drive I was annoyed that it wasn't announcing street names. It wasn't until I got to my destination that I realized why. I had my phone in airplane mode with WiFi enabled. I guess it was just using my offline maps and known WiFi hotspots to locate me.

Reactions: zerrisk

zerrisk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
Yes, it will. I have my town downloaded for offline use. One thing that shocked me was during a particular drive I was annoyed that it wasn't announcing street names. It wasn't until I got to my destination that I realized why. I had my phone in airplane mode with WiFi enabled. I guess it was just using my offline maps and known WiFi hotspots to locate me.
Haha I see, thank you!

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Yes, just used this whilst visiting California from the UK. We stopped at a place up in the Hope Valley that we were told had no phone signal so i downloaded a section of map covering San Francisco bottom left to Lake Tahoe top right so we could have sat nav in our hire car. You could tell when it was working with no signal as it couldnt give you traffic information on the screen but navigating worked fine.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Another thing I just remembered is Google Maps will announce "you're back online". I've heard this when using CarPlay.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I had my phone in airplane mode .... I guess it was just using ... known WiFi hotspots to locate me.

GPS is receive only. so no reason for airplane mode to turn it off.

did a quick look online and before iOS 8.3 airplane did turn off GPS, but no longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.