Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
Hi all, I am thinking to purchase one of those PD wall chargers so I can plug several devices but I am not 100% sure if PD chargers are bad for my iphone SE (1st gen) and ipad air 2019.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
No. Your iPhone will only take whatever it design to take. As far as I know, first generation iPhone SE will take maximum 10W while charging.
That is exactly what I thought but some sources say PD chargers can wore out battery in the long run so I wasn't sure.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
For the iPhone SE, USB PD will be just as if you were using your iPad charger to charge the iPhone.

The iPad Air 3 supports up to 30W.

Our AC is broken so I've stopped using USB PD and Qi chargers for now. It's 90+ F here and the devices can get pretty hot with both fast and wireless charging and it's the heat more than charging speed that degrades the battery.

Last edited:

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2020
That is exactly what I thought but some sources say PD chargers can wore out battery in the long run so I wasn't sure.

Well, I have been charing my iPhone 7 and iPhone 6S plus for about few months now, I don't see any problem. Battery health is still at 100%.

If you are just too worried, then you can charge your iPhone SE with 12W iPad charger.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
As some other posters have mentioned, the SE does not take advantage of the PD specification. So your iPhone will only charge at 5V instead of 9V, 12V, or higher voltages offered by PD.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Alternately, something like this would allow charging the Air 3 at 30W and iPhone SE at 12W simultaneously while only using a single socket (possibly two if it blocks the adjacent one but still better than two large bricks).

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
if the battery gets hot when charging, the charge current is too high for the ambient temperature. I know my iPhones will stop charging with any charger if the battery temp gets over 105 degrees F, but place them on an ice pack wrapped in a cloth and charging will resume full speed once the battery cools down

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
The convenience of fast charging out way any issue about battery degradation if any. Plus a battery swap is pretty affordable if you intend to keep the device for several years. I normally upgrade yearly but given the lack of compelling features I’m keeping my xs max one more year and swapping the battery since it’s starting to degrade significantly. But fast charging makes having a poor battery life livable when I can charge from 15% to 80% in less than 40mins. I have an anker PD charger that I carry around the house.

Last edited:

Kraizelburg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Spain
Many thanks to all for your responses. I have came across an Ugreen PD charger at very affordable price, 15eur (I'm in the EU) in aliexpress. Have anyone heard about Ugreen as a reliable brand? I know anker and AUKEY are very good too.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Still with anker or aukey who knows if the smaller brands are buildin quality parts with the right safeguards.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
if the battery gets hot when charging, the charge current is too high for the ambient temperature. I know my iPhones will stop charging with any charger if the battery temp gets over 105 degrees F, but place them on an ice pack wrapped in a cloth and charging will resume full speed once the battery cools down

You actually wrap your iPhones in a cloth and place them on an ice-pack?

Can’t say I’ve ever had any of my iPhones stop charging due to heat - and that was doing some fairly intensive stuff while charging (such as loading an 80k photo library to Google Photos, etc).

Learn something new everyday.
[automerge]1598761195[/automerge]
I would definitely recommend name-brand wall chargers if you can get them. A few bucks are not worth the risk to your safety.

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Can’t say I’ve ever had any of my iPhones stop charging due to heat - and that was doing some fairly intensive stuff while charging (such as loading an 80k photo library to Google Photos, etc).

Learn something new everyday.
Ambient temperature tends to have a bigger impact than CPU/GPU load. I've actually had an iPad shut down due to thermals while using it as GPS driving in the California desert in a car with weak AC.

Last week, my iPhone disabled the flashlight function because it was too hot (~98° F).

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.