Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
TL;DR: I get headaches easily, would I be better of with the iPhone 11 instead of 11 Pro so my phone doesn't have PWM.

I've suffered headaches all my life, always been more prone to getting them than average. Seen plenty of doctors over the years, had scans etc and final diagnosis is always that I'm just 'someone who gets headaches easily'.

I've pretty much always had the latest iPhone, and got the 11 Pro on launch day. During the build up I happened to read about PWM flicker etc, and it got me thinking about it. Over the last year or 2, my headaches have been a little worse. I'm well aware there are lots of other factors in life (I'm 32 with a busy job, just got married etc), but that does also coincide with Apple moving to OLED displays which, if I understand it right, all use PWM. I freqently spend the last hour or so of my day reading news etc on my iPhone, and over the past few years have had more instances of then waking up with a headache.

So it's got me thinking, should I be considering swapping down to the regular iPhone 11, which as I understand it doesn't use OLED and does not use PWM?

Reactions: RD207

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
The 11 Pro I mentioned that I bought on launch day. Before that I'd had the XS and X on their respective launch days

Reactions: jimmy_uk

orbitalpunk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
i think its worth trying for sure. im not 100% certain its effecting you because you just mention headaches and PWN really effect eye strain more as if some invisible creature was trying to pull out your eye balls. thats what PWM feel like to me at least. but, you can get ocular migraines and not know it so its worth trying especially since the timing works out.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
If you have gotten headaches ‘all your life’ then it’s more difficult to tie them to the phones. Often pwm eye strain sets in relatively quickly as your eyes fixate on the screen.

You already have stressors in life and the headaches were there pre PWM. If you want, try the 11. I did that yesterday and guess what, similar symptoms to my Pro Max. Moved into my 8 Plus of 2 years and same thing. So for me, I’m happily going back to the Pro Max. I’m certain most of my situation was self induced anxiety and mental from hyper focusing on how I felt. Try the 11. If nothing changes go Pro.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Most headaches are actually caused by dehydration. People not drinking enough water and drinking too many sodas and tea/coffee drinks. 2 litres of water a day. WATER! Not diet soda.

I used to get mad headaches. They thought it was my eyes, so I got glasses, then this, then that. No one actually pointed out the fact I didnt drink anything all day.

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
If you have gotten headaches ‘all your life’ then it’s more difficult to tie them to the phones. Often pwm eye strain sets in relatively quickly as your eyes fixate on the screen.

You already have stressors in life and the headaches were there pre PWM. If you want, try the 11. I did that yesterday and guess what, similar symptoms to my Pro Max. Moved into my 8 Plus of 2 years and same thing. So for me, I’m happily going back to the Pro Max. I’m certain most of my situation was self induced anxiety and mental from hyper focusing on how I felt. Try the 11. If nothing changes go Pro.

I think this is probably where I’m at, but thought I’d seek opinion.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Looking at any screen for any length of time could cause headaches. There's no definitive answer.

I get headaches quite regularly and I don't believe they've ever been caused by my phones, especially X, Xs and now the Pro 11.

If anything the dark mode is more relaxed to look at and my eyes are not hit by bright whites and so on which I prefer. I know I felt far more comfy when macOS had a dark mode, the bright whites are killer. YMMV.

Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
Looking at any screen for any length of time could cause headaches. There's no definitive answer.

I get headaches quite regularly and I don't believe they've ever been caused by my phones, especially X, Xs and now the Pro 11.

If anything the dark mode is more relaxed to look at and my eyes are not hit by bright whites and so on which I prefer. I know I felt far more comfy when macOS had a dark mode, the bright whites are killer. YMMV.
The dark mode is a good point, perhaps very stupidly I hadn't thought to try this. Visually I prefer non-dark mode but this is definitely worth a try.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
The dark mode is a good point, perhaps very stupidly I hadn't thought to try this. Visually I prefer non-dark mode but this is definitely worth a try.
I'm the same. Not a fan of reading white text on black backgrounds. It feels harder on my eyes.

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
I've not gotten headaches all my life...and I've had them since purchasing my XS. I switched to my wife's 8+ for a few days - they went away....so I mean, for me, it's pretty easy to make the case that if they don't cause headaches, they sure exacerbate issues that may already exist. My 11 is on order.

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
I've not gotten headaches all my life...and I've had them since purchasing my XS. I switched to my wife's 8+ for a few days - they went away....so I mean, for me, it's pretty easy to make the case that if they don't cause headaches, they sure exacerbate issues that may already exist. My 11 is on order.
Interesting, thank you. I am very much debating giving the 11 a go.

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
I'm the same. Not a fan of reading white text on black backgrounds. It feels harder on my eyes.

Same. I've always thought people who liked dark mode were nuts as it definitely feels harder on my eyes as well. Maybe it's something unique about me/my eyes. Not sure. I remember an internet forum site I used to frequent ~8 years ago switched to dark mode with black background and white font and there was no user-switchable option to change it back. I virtually stopped reading that forum as a result! 🤣

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
Meant to ask as well, can anyone actually confirm for me whether the iPhone 11 has PWM or note? I can't seem to find a conclusive answer.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Meant to ask as well, can anyone actually confirm for me whether the iPhone 11 has PWM or note? I can't seem to find a conclusive answer.
It does not. Some have complained they still had symptoms with the Xr and now the 11. But that could be placebo, paranoia, or even the oft mentioned potential effects of all of the sensors used for face ID, awareness recognition, proximity sensor, etc. Many variables are at play.

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
It does not. Some have complained they still had symptoms with the Xr and now the 11. But that could be placebo, paranoia, or even the oft mentioned potential effects of all of the sensors used for face ID, awareness recognition, proximity sensor, etc. Many variables are at play.
By symptoms, are you referring to headache symptoms i.e. not symptoms of seeing PWM flicker?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
It doesn't matter if Apple OLED screens give anyone headaches or not. Staring into a strobe light isn't good for anyone's eyes or nervous system. Nobody should be using OLED screens that use PWM flickering to control brightness from any manufacturer if they care about their health.
One day in the future we'll all look back at OLED screens like we do CRTs now- not good tech.

TheMountainLife

macrumors regular
May 24, 2015
Anyone with epilepsy or experience able to chime in? Would love to know if it can be triggering before gifting a family member. They are currently using a 6 plus.

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006

As far as I could tell it doesn't. I did the same test (using another phone's cam to show the screen) that I did with my XS; whereas you could easily see the 'chop' or whatever it's called with the XS, I couldn't see squat, other than an obviously dimmer screen, on my wife's 11.

Kung

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2006
Anyone with epilepsy or experience able to chime in? Would love to know if it can be triggering before gifting a family member. They are currently using a 6 plus.

While this is obviously anecdotal, there's an account over on Reddit of a guy who suffered a grand mal seizure who also owned an iPhone XS. Once out of the hospital, he started having 'focal seizures.' Once he read about the XS PWM and all that, he turned off all the stuff (require attention, face ID) and reduced his usage, and they stopped.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/co9eof
From what I read, only a small subset of the population that suffers from epilepsy is triggered by flashing lights; and supposedly, of those, the vast majority are sensitive between 3-30Hz, with some up to 60Hz. I believe the PWM is much higher than that, so ostensibly it *shouldn't* trigger it.

With that said, I'm told by people that it's in my head that the phone's bothering my eyes....even though I'm absolutely fine if I don't use my XS, and even though I can look @ it for 10 or so minutes and feel eye strain and headaches coming on.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
By symptoms, are you referring to headache symptoms i.e. not symptoms of seeing PWM flicker?
It is tough to say actually. Those who described their symptoms said they would experience anything from slight nausea to eye strain, head aches, eye aches, etc. And while those are typically tied to PWM, some have questioned if it was actually the various sensors that could have been causing it. Likely because not only is the OLED display a differentiator from the older LCD phones, but so is Face ID. So if they moved to the Xr or 11, a non-OLED device, could it be Face ID or other sensors causing their issues? Or just mental at this point.

I bring up mental because I am almost certain I brought on my own symptoms. I was already worried about PWM before my phone even arrived. I was so hyper-focused that any feeling other than perfection was going to be due to the phone. It never stood a chance with me.

Matt__James

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2014
As far as I could tell it doesn't. I did the same test (using another phone's cam to show the screen) that I did with my XS; whereas you could easily see the 'chop' or whatever it's called with the XS, I couldn't see squat, other than an obviously dimmer screen, on my wife's 11.

Thank you. Thinking I’m going to pop in to an Apple store and have a look at an 11.

A bit off topic, but anyone know if I’ll still be OK to return my 11 Pro? I bought it on iUP on launch day - am I right in thinking I’ll still be covered by Apple’s standard 14 day return policy?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.