Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toontra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
Given the length of beta testing that Tiger has undergone, can we assume that most/all of the major s.ware houses will have made sure their products are Tiger-ready on it's release?

In other words, will the move to Tiger be painless? I presume that Apple's own pro apps (FCP, Logic) are OK, but what about Adobe, etc, and some of the smaller developers?

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....if it is like the release of 10.1, 10.2, 10.3...then yes, *most* developers will have patches ready in time for the release of 10.4 or very shortly thereafter - that's one of the reasons why Apple has their developer program that lets them get the software during development/alpha/beta stages. Of course, there will always be a few that get caught napping or run into unforseen problems getting their software ready...no doubt you will hear about those ones here within hours of 10.4's release...heheheh....oh yeah!

Logik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2004
ya.. most should be.. you'll find those few (like me) who simply cannot afford to get an ADC membership to get Tiger early... i write software for my own benefit and will charge a simple $5 fee most of the time.. that hardly makes up for the $500 investment in an ADC membership... you shouldn't see many problems at all though since the "major" shareware developers should be able to afford it without much difficulty

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
In addition to Logik and da Duff-Man said, you will find that a lot of software will function without issues on Tiger. They just won't be taking advantage of any Tiger specific features.

Products that will be most likely to have issues are ones with device drivers and ones that used undocumented Mac OS interfaces that are subject to change.

From what I remember going from 10.2 to 10.3, I only had one or two minor pieces of softwrae that needed updates. And those updates were ready about the same time 10.3 was released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.