Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I'm awaiting the new iPad release, in the meantime my iPad line is eligible for the standard 2 year discount. However when testing this out by going through the motion of purchasing a new iPad the price was the same even with the discount "applied." :rolleyes:

I've never used 2-year discounts for a tablet before, so I was wondering if this means they're only applicable for phones, at least as far as Verizon goes?

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
iPad's are not subsidized by the carriers. This is why you can cancel your service at any time without an ETF.

fleabite

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
Actually, it may be subsidized

If you sign up for a new plan, it can be subsidized. I'm soon going to switch to Verizon and get an iPhone 5s and the new iPad mini. If you check that on Verizon's website, it gives a discounted cost on the 32 GB mini of $459, which is $100 dollars off, when I get the 2-year contract. It also gives a discounted rate on the phone. I discussed this with a customer rep, who confirmed it.:cool:

Last edited:

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
If you sign up for a new plan, it can be subsidized. I'm soon going to switch to Verizon and get an iPhone 5s and the new iPad mini. If you check that on Verizon's website, it gives a discounted cost on the 32 GB mini of $459, which is $100 dollars off, when I get the 2-year contract. It also gives a discounted rate on the phone. I discussed this with a customer rep, who confirmed it.:cool:

Both my iPad lines are month to month, if it turns out I can sign a two year plan specifically to subsidize a tablet I may go that route, but in your case the discount may have only worked as a result of you getting a new phone too. I'll have to keep playing around with the plan options, maybe Verizon might offer a deal once the new iPad gets released.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Both my iPad lines are month to month, if it turns out I can sign a two year plan specifically to subsidize a tablet I may go that route, but in your case the discount may have only worked as a result of you getting a new phone too. I'll have to keep playing around with the plan options, maybe Verizon might offer a deal once the new iPad gets released.

It is possible to buy (solely) a subsidized iPad on a 2 yr contract. The discount for an iPad Mini is currently $100. The subsidies are no where near phone subsidies, but the plans are cheaper...

thefredelement

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2012
New York
I got the most bang for my buck by 'upgrading' my iPad line to an iPhone 5, then switched it back to the iPad and sold the iPhone 5.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I got the most bang for my buck by 'upgrading' my iPad line to an iPhone 5, then switched it back to the iPad and sold the iPhone 5.

I'd sell my current iPad (latest gen) so I'd likely get about the same return.

----------

Funny you mentioned that. There is a meteor on its way, it will pass by this time around, but the odds that when it returns, and hits the Earth is 1/89,000 in a few years . Pretty good chance you will get hit. :eek: :D

http://science1.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2005/13may_2004mn4/

Guess it all comes down to that age old question: Do I feel lucky? :D

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007

Ha ha. Gotta love the FCC block C agreement. I use my verizon phone unlimited data line and exclusively put 4g lte sim in my verizon iPad. It has its own hotspot also. So truly unlimited lte data with no throttle.

and I just took advantage of the transfer upgrade loophole to maintain unlimited data and purchased subsidized verizon iPhone 5S. I didn't resell it like you. I am using the verizon iPhone 5S on my "other" ATT lines.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
You also have the option of getting a wifi only iPad & tethering to your iPhone, wifi only is cheaper than 4g even with 100 bucks off & saves you the $10 a month to add an iPad to your share plan.

Yeah it's definitely another option I can consider.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Yeah even if it's $100 it definitely beats paying retail. :D

Your best bet would be to subsidize a phone on the line. After you activate the phone, swap the line to a tablet with your new iPad (that you paid full price for). Then sell the phone. You'll get more than $100 out of the subsidy, albeit with a bit more work.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Your best bet would be to subsidize a phone on the line. After you activate the phone, swap the line to a tablet with your new iPad (that you paid full price for). Then sell the phone. You'll get more than $100 out of the subsidy, albeit with a bit more work.

Yeah, combined with the money from selling the old iPad, I would just about break even going that route. Works for me.

herdnerfer

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Saint louis, MO

With Verizon's new share plans it only costs $10 a month to add a tablet to your plan, but it costs $40 a month to add a new smartphone.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
With Verizon's new share plans it only costs $10 a month to add a tablet to your plan, but it costs $40 a month to add a new smartphone.

Yes... you add a phone at$40/mo. Once activated, you switch the device to an iPad and change the line to a tablet line. You pay a prorated cost against a day of $40/mo and the rest of the time it is billed at $10/mo.

Now you have a subsidized phone to sell, free and clear. Buy the phone which gets you the best net difference after selling. Probably an iPhone right now.

This only makes sense if you planned on getting a contract for your tablet in the first place. You save money this way over just adding a tablet with $100 off the tablet cost.

herdnerfer

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Saint louis, MO
Yes... you add a phone at$40/mo. Once activated, you switch the device to an iPad and change the line to a tablet line. You pay a prorated cost against a day of $40/mo and the rest of the time it is billed at $10/mo.

Now you have a subsidized phone to sell, free and clear. Buy the phone which gets you the best net difference after selling. Probably an iPhone right now.

This only makes sense if you planned on getting a contract for your tablet in the first place. You save money this way over just adding a tablet with $100 off the tablet cost.

Seems like this would break your contract, whats stops people from doing this with their regular phone lines & only paying 10 instead of 40?

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Seems like this would break your contract, whats stops people from doing this with their regular phone lines & only paying 10 instead of 40?

Because you have to activate a tablet on the line to pay the tablet cost. Your contract is for the line. You can swap the type of line anytime as long as you have a device of the new type to activate on it.

You cannot activate a tablet on it, swap to a tablet line for $10/mo and then use your phone. You could put the tablet SIM in your phone and use data, but you would have no voice AFAIK.

They cannot prevent you from moving the SIM between devices, I believe that was part of the LTE spectrum deal. I move my cell SIM into data cards for Cisco routers on occasions. No ill affects to my bill. Unlimited data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.