Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dryopenclub

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2024
I understand that the 15" MBA has clearly better speakers than the 13" MBA, but I'm upgrading from the a 2017 13" MBP. I would like audio quality to be at least equal (if not better than) to my current MBP as I cannot use headphones. I have a neurological condition with various symptoms like tinnitus (which rules out headphones) and palinopsia (which is made hellish by high contrast mini-led so 14"/16" MBP is out- I've tried the 16" M2 MBP and it killed my eyes).

If the 15" MBA is not better in audio quality, I might try looking for a 13" M2 MBP. Thanks guys!

Reactions: ConvertedToMac

dizmonk

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2010
The speakers in the 15" MBA are not better than the MBP. I'm on a 14" M3 MBP and it's much better. That was my experience even when I had my 14" m1. It feels like the sound is deeper, richer, and less flat. I think they are also a tad louder than the 15. The 15" MBA is substantially better than the 13" MBA. As far as the M2 13" MBP goes, I don't know. I never had that one.

I understand that the 15" MBA has clearly better speakers than the 13" MBA, but I'm upgrading from the a 2017 13" MBP. I would like audio quality to be at least equal (if not better than) to my current MBP as I cannot use headphones. I have a neurological condition with various symptoms like tinnitus (which rules out headphones) and palinopsia (which is made hellish by high contrast mini-led so 14"/16" MBP is out- I've tried the 16" M2 MBP and it killed my eyes).

If the 15" MBA is not better in audio quality, I might try looking for a 13" M2 MBP. Thanks guys!
they’re much of a muchness.
i use earbuds 95% of the time thus it’s a non-issue for me.
$25 sony wired earbuds rival anything more expensive imho

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
All the speakers are plus minus the same… if you looking for higher quality and you can’t use headphones, you should connect your laptop to good external speakers.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011

It is better.

Apple intentionally scaled back the speaker quality of the 15" MBA by default to not encroach upon the MBP, but if you apply EQ, the 15" MBA actually can sound even better than the 14" MBP.

Default, they reduce the max loudness by roughly 5-6dB and the bass is pushed down a lot more on the 15". But even so, it does still beat the 13" MBP easily.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
how does 13-inch MBP compare to 13-inch M1 MBA sound quality wise?

Bc M1 13 MBA to M2 15 MBA sound quality improved dramatically imo

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010
It is better.

Apple intentionally scaled back the speaker quality of the 15" MBA by default to not encroach upon the MBP ...

And you learned this from what made-up source? "encroach upon the MBP?!? " There's so many ways that the 15" MBA does not encroach upon the MBP that speakers don't even fit into the equation. IF anything, the only reason they're not at good as the speakers on the MBP is because the AIR is more of a budget computer and they were trying to keep the price down.

You are using the same tired, faulty theory that I've heard on these forums before: That Apple deliberately gimps certain products so that they don't compete with another of their products.

But the fact is, there's plenty of people who bought macbook Airs who WOULD have bought a macbook pro, IF the macbook air never existed. So the Air ALREADY encroaches upon the market of the MBP. And there's some people who buy iPads but would otherwise buy an Air if the iPad didn't exist. ALL apple devices 'encroach' upon one another to some level of degree. So to say the Air's speakers are worse than the speakers on the MBP so the Air wouldn't take sales away from the MBP is absolutely silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: jb333

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
And you learned this from what made-up source?

If you're willing to purchase Sound Control 3 from Static Z:

Then I can give you the EQ profile I'm using based on measuring the acoustic properties of both the 14" MBP and 15" MBA.

As for whether Apple really does hold things back to differentiate products or not, I'll simply remind you that 11" iPad Pro doesn't have Mini LED display but 12.9" iPad does. But hey, they're adding OLED to both based on most recent rumors.

javisan

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2006

Then I can give you the EQ profile I'm using based on measuring the acoustic properties of both the 14" MBP and 15" MBA.

As for whether Apple really does hold things back to differentiate products or not, I'll simply remind you that 11" iPad Pro doesn't have Mini LED display but 12.9" iPad does. But hey, they're adding OLED to both based on most recent rumors.
If you don't mind, would you share your EQ profile with me?

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
If you don't mind, would you share your EQ profile with me?

If you have Sound Control, just import this preset:

I'm not sure if the same settings will work with your speakers, but for mine, this makes it at least 4.5dB louder overall (so almost 1.5x louder) even at max volume without clipping.

import.png

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010

There are products that are less expensive, so they don't have the premium stuff. The point is to create a line of products with a range of prices, rather than prevent them from stealing one another's sales.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
There are products that are less expensive, so they don't have the premium stuff. The point is to create a line of products with a range of prices, rather than prevent them from stealing one another's sales.

And Apple will also let the M3 14" MacBook Pro support up to 2x external displays, something that was previously only possible on the M3 Pro version.

So you can choose to look at the glass half full side, but I have seen enough of this silicon transition to be able to tell that Apple is struggling to push Mac sales now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.