Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
When this problem with the 15P/PM began to surface, people were saying that their 14P/PM also heated up in the past due to background processes / indexing. But I'm not sure if those phones ever got 100F+. Has anyone with a 14P/PM for older experienced these same issues recently, especially those extreme temperature warnings? What about after installing iOS 17? If it's not happening to older devices, then can software can be ruled out? Will this come down to production variances?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've had some out of the blue weird heating issues. Just pick up the phone and it's warm. It's infrequent and inconsistent but only started happening after installing iOS 17.

I have iOS 17 installed on two devices, my 11 Pro Max and my 6th gen iPad. What I said above applies to both devices. The strange thing is that my iPad was on the iOS 17 betas for quite some time and this didn't happen.

I find a restart seems to help.

PS. Just warm, not hot or scorching like seems to be the problem with the new iPhone.

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
I've had some out of the blue weird heating issues. Just pick up the phone and it's warm. It's infrequent and inconsistent but only started happening after installing iOS 17.

I have iOS 17 installed on two devices, my 11 Pro Max and my 6th gen iPad. What I said above applies to both devices. The strange thing is that my iPad was on the iOS 17 betas for quite some time and this didn't happen.

I find a restart seems to help.

PS. Just warm, not hot or scorching like seems to be the problem with the new iPhone.
I installed iOS 17 on my 11P and it only got hot during the installation. I could feel the warmth even with the leather case on it. But I haven't really noticed anything since, though I only use it for my Apple Watch.

And my roommate has a 15P and she's not experienced any issues at all but she isn't really a power user.

Last edited:

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
I’m curious as to why some of the 15 pro/max are heating and others are not. Since the iOS software is uniform, then I assume that the heat occurrences are from apps or hardware errors in the manufacturing process. If there are hardware errors in certain phones then they issue an update to control the errors? If that’s the case, then how does that effect the phones that don’t have the problems?

acorntoy

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2010
I’m curious as to why some of the 15 pro/max are heating and others are not. Since the iOS software is uniform, then I assume that the heat occurrences are from apps or hardware errors in the manufacturing process. If there are hardware errors in certain phones then they issue an update to control the errors? If that’s the case, then how does that effect the phones that don’t have the problems?
It's not -uniform- it's customized per each CPU, that's the advantage of Apple, the software is optimized for the hardware, less devices so you can do better optimization. Seems like they messed it up for the 15P (this has also happened in the past with new devices). Only time will tell if it was a software bug or just a crappy CPU design like the A5X that constantly overheated.

Reactions: ChoiMinji

ChoiMinji

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2021
Yes I understand that, uniform for each model. But why are only some are over heating and others are not?

Reactions: Mity

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
Yes I understand that, uniform for each model. But why are only some are over heating and others are not?
That's exactly why I posted my question. Even across different 15P/PM devices, there is variation but we're not sure if it's due to people having different apps on their phones or hardware QC issues. So, if other iPhone generations are affected, then it provides more evidence for a software issue and not a hardware one.

Reactions: ChoiMinji

hatshepsut01

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2016
My iPhone 14 has been getting hot since updating to iOS 17. Seems limited to Facebook so far. Guessing this is less of a new iPhone problem than a new OS problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.