Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 1, 2021
Hey!
I just got AirPods 2nd generation and I was wondering if they're water proof? What I mean by this is can I still use them outside when it's raining?
I tried to Google, but got weird answers like: "They're water resistant" and "you shouldn't shower with them or swim with your AirPods".
All I want to know is if 2nd generation AirPods are rainproof? Can I still use them when it's raining or what's the answer here exactly? I don't want to know about showering or swimming as I'm not going to do any of those things anyway.
Just if you can walk with them outside when it's raining.

Thanks.

GotQuestions

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2022
I tried to find this out a few months ago when I was cleaning the bathroom and one of my AirPods fell in the toilet. There was still toilet bowl cleaner in the water. I found out through experience that the 2nd generation AirPods must be water resistant. On the Apple site it only lists the 3rd gen and pro as water resistant, but mine was completely submerged and it worked just fine after I sanitized it. It is still working great 2-3 months later. I haven’t worn them in the rain, but I imagine they would be fine during a light rain. I’m going to try not to test that theory though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.