Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomasdangit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
San Francisco, CA
I'm shopping for my father's upcoming retirement gift. He's a pilot and I'd love to get him the AirTag Hermès Luggage Tag (in any of the 3 colors).
Here's the AirTag Hermès Luggage Tag Link on Apple Online Store. I've been checking consistently for the past few weeks and all 3 colors—Gold, Fauve, and Noire—say Sold Out for online delivery. I've also plugged in a bunch of ZIP codes scattered across the US, and it looks like nothing is available for in-store pick-up. I know the official Hermès site has the Luggage Tags in-stock, but only in red and blue, and I don't think he'd like these colors.

Does anyone know if these items are still being sold, and if so, when they were last sold? I did a little Googling, and this article on 9to5 Mac shows there was a possible quality issue in May 2021 that led to the products being temporarily paused from sales. However, that article covers the AirTag Hermès key ring, not the Luggage Tag that I'm interested in.

I'm asking to figure out whether I should continue waiting for a possible re-stock on Apple's website — or if the products are still out of stock from the 2021 recall, and they haven't been back in stock for years.

Has anyone seen the Luggage Tags being in-stock on Apple's online site lately?

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
You're correct in that all three luggage tags are listed as unavailable on the Apple US site. The other Hermes AirTag products are still available. I'm guessing Hermes is either discontinuing them or changing up their colors and we're just in between cycles at the moment.

Reactions: thomasdangit

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016

How are the Luggage Tags different from the Bag Charms?

----------
ETA: I see now. The Tags are attached to the strap differently and have a buckle. And perhaps the dimensions are different? Apple, unfortunately, doesn't list any measurements nor show photos that indicate relative scale.

ETA 2: The Hermès website gives the dimensions. The Tags are 5.5" in height. The Charms are 9" in height.

ETA 3: It is possible the Tags won't ever be sold by Apple in the USA again because the product page on the USA Hermès website says, "This product is sold exclusively in Hermès Boutiques and through Hermes.com." The page for the Charms doesn't have a similar statement.

Last edited:

thomasdangit

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
San Francisco, CA
How are the Luggage Tags different from the Bag Charms?

----------
ETA: I see now. The Tags are attached to the strap differently and have a buckle. And perhaps the dimensions are different? Apple, unfortunately, doesn't list any measurements nor show photos that indicate relative scale.

ETA 2: The Hermès website gives the dimensions. The Tags are 5.5" in height. The Charms are 9" in height.

ETA 3: It is possible the Tags won't ever be offered by Apple again because the product page on the Hermès website says, "This product is sold exclusively in Hermès Boutiques and through Hermes.com." The page for the Charms doesn't have a similar statement.
Yikes! I wanted to buy the brown luggage tag from Apple directly. They had the colors I wanted and Hermes’ website doesn’t. And Apple Card 3% cash back!!! 😉

And yeah, my understanding is the Bag Charm is much longer and a little daintier/dangly. Definitely not as secure as a luggage tag with its hardware.

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Yikes! I wanted to buy the brown luggage tag from Apple directly. They had the colors I wanted and Hermes’ website doesn’t. And Apple Card 3% cash back!!! 😉

And yeah, my understanding is the Bag Charm is much longer and a little daintier/dangly. Definitely not as secure as a luggage tag with its hardware.

Retirement gifts are special. So if I were in a similar position, I would try ordering from one of the non-USA Hermès websites, where a lot more colors are available, or find an excuse to travel to a store that had what I wanted in stock (friends and family airline fare?).

For example:

and this is cool...why isn't it sold in the USA?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.