Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I got my new M1 MBA up and running tonight, and looks like I'll probably be keeping it. I am wondering, though, if the dimensions are exactly the same as he early 2020 Intel MBA for the purposes of a hardshell case and / or a sleeve or even a skin (please no comments on how a hardshell case is bad or tacky). I am wondering because I know the dimensions changed slightly from the 2019 MBA to the early 2020 Intel MBA and it made a difference with case fitting. Since Apple eliminated the fan in the M1 model, did the dimensions change ever so slightly, perhaps making it a bit thinner?

glindon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Phoenix
Thank you for your response. Do you have a source?

MacBook Air vs M1 MacBook Air Comparison: What’s the Difference

Dimensions

• MacBook Air: 0.16–0.63 inch x 11.97 inches x 8.36 inches, 1.29 kg
  • M1 MacBook Air: 0.16–0.63 inch x 11.97 inches x 8.36 inches, 1.29 kg

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland

MacBook Air vs M1 MacBook Air Comparison: What’s the Difference

Dimensions

• MacBook Air: 0.16–0.63 inch x 11.97 inches x 8.36 inches, 1.29 kg
  • M1 MacBook Air: 0.16–0.63 inch x 11.97 inches x 8.36 inches, 1.29 kg
Thank you again.

Reactions: glindon

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
For future reference about any Mac:

I was reading conflicting information and couldn't find exact numerical measurements. This article from The Verge says the new M1 Air is "almost the same dimensions as its predecessor" https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/10...r-arm-m1-chip-laptop-specs-price-release-date

Last edited:

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
I was reading conflicting information and couldn't find exact numerical measurements. This article from The Verge says the new M1 Air is "almost the same dimensions as its predecessor" - so, you tell me what that means before getting smart with me. https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/10...r-arm-m1-chip-laptop-specs-price-release-date
Why would you go to The Verge as opposed to Apple's own website for the Air's dimensions? Just curious. When I need info on any Apple product, I go right to apple.com first and if I can't find what I'm looking for there, I go to other sources: reviews, macrumors, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: vistokid

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 9.38.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 9.38.33 AM.png
    125.8 KB · Views: 761

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Why would you go to The Verge as opposed to Apple's own website for the Air's dimensions? Just curious. When I need info on any Apple product, I go right to apple.com first and if I can't find what I'm looking for there, I go to other sources: reviews, macrumors, etc.

I went to Apple’s website. I saw what it said after I posted (must have overlooked it initially) but I also read (and not just at the Verge) that the dimensions may not be exactly the same, so I was curious to know what the discrepancy was. As an aside, Apple’s website has not always been accurate. They have made mistakes before. As far as the Verge- I am not deeply into tech, despite my being on this forum. I did not know the Verge is not a reliable source.

Last edited:

circatee

Contributor
Nov 30, 2014
I am happy you found the respective answer.
I personally have never tried a hard shell case for a computer. To confirm, said case does not affect the computer (due to aiding in keeping in heat)?

Reactions: myrtlebee

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I am happy you found the respective answer.
I personally have never tried a hard shell case for a computer. To confirm, said case does not affect the computer (due to aiding in keeping in heat)?
I can’t say for certain, but I’ve never had a problem and have been using them for over a decade. Of course, you will get people who say otherwise and others who will make fun you and call the cases tacky. It’s just individual preference. I do think naked or a skin looks better and would be my natural preference, but I’ve had my share of freak accidents (no, not because I’m clumsy- things happen). Usually bumping a corner of the Mac on another object.

I’ve seen many dented Mac corners over the years on used devices on eBay, and I’d rather have a cracked case over a dented corner. All of my Macs have been pristine when I go to sell them and I have never had issues with heat.

Of course with the new M1 MacBook Air you don’t have a fan and the machine stays cool anyway from my use and what I’ve seen others post so far.

Reactions: circatee

steinbch

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
Even though they are listed as the same, they are definitely different. Here's a picture of the M1 MacBook Air on the left and the 2020 Intel on the right. I guess my M1 Air could be defective...
IMG_3444.jpg

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Even though they are listed as the same, they are definitely different. Here's a picture of the M1 MacBook Air on the left and the 2020 Intel on the right. I guess my M1 Air could be defective...
They look the same size to me. Instead, it looks like the table they are sitting on is warped which is causing one of them to sit lower than the other.

steinbch

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
You would think so, but here they are on a stone countertop, upside down so no issues with wear on the feet. I included the box to see the difference.
Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 3.00.07 PM.png

Reactions: leventozler
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.