Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoelMarcey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Northern California
So, when you buy a case for the iPhone 3G, many come with 1 or 2 screen protectors bundled in. SwitchEasy, for example, gives you some when you buy Colors.

Are those good enough to protect your screen, especially from drops (to the most practical extent possible, of course). Or are they only protection for scratches and dust, and in order to get drop protection for your screen do you need to buy something like the Best Skin Ever or Zagg InvisibleShield -- and if you do have to buy these, how can you be sure your case will fit over them?

Thanks.

jmeray

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2009
before you put a screen protector on, read the manual.
Just make sure that a screen protector wont mess up the oleophobic screen.
Make sure the manual doesnt say "Screen protectors could damage the oleophobic screen".

If you find out all is well... my preference is the Power Support Anti Glare after all my research. It keeps fingerprints off (like the oleophobic screen) so you dont loose too much function there. It does make it a matte finish as opposed to super shiny, but shiny means fingerprints.
If you like shiny, then the Power Support Crystal is good.

Both available at the Apple Store if u want to walk in & purchase it live.

JoelMarcey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Northern California
before you put a screen protector on, read the manual.
Just make sure that a screen protector wont mess up the oleophobic screen.
Make sure the manual doesnt say "Screen protectors could damage the oleophobic screen".

If you find out all is well... my preference is the Power Support Anti Glare after all my research. It keeps fingerprints off (like the oleophobic screen) so you dont loose too much function there. It does make it a matte finish as opposed to super shiny, but shiny means fingerprints.
If you like shiny, then the Power Support Crystal is good.

Both available at the Apple Store if u want to walk in & purchase it live.

Thanks! I am going to give the SwitchEasy Colors defauly screen protector that comes in the box a go (assuming it is good enough for oleophobic screens). If I need to, I will spend more on another screen protector.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.