Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qusus

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2009
Or are they the equivalent to the macbook?

Macbook Air's use 6-bit panels like the 13 inch Macbook Pro. They are both LED backlit but the Air's has better viewing angles, it's an overall better display than the 13 inch Macbook Pro and far far better than the normal white Macbooks' (which are not LED backlit).

Not as good as the 8 bit display on the Macbook Pro 15 inch however.

NikFinn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2009
MA
Macbook Air's use 6-bit panels like the 13 inch Macbook Pro. They are both LED backlit but the Air's has better viewing angles, it's an overall better display than the 13 inch Macbook Pro and far far better than the normal white Macbooks' (which are not LED backlit).

Not as good as the 8 bit display on the Macbook Pro 15 inch however.
How does that make it better than the MBP's screen? I personally prefer the glassy screen compared to the MBA screen.

mojibake

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2008
Don't forget, with the Air screen you get that groovy texture, thin horizontal lines on your screen as a bonus...

Marconelly

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
How does that make it better than the MBP's screen? I personally prefer the glassy screen compared to the MBA screen.
MBA screen is also with reflective coating. I can see reflections in it quite well on black screen portions, when I look for them.

Lines issue is a bad one, but from what I've seen Pro models also suffer from it, just not as often?

caonimadebi

macrumors regular
May 7, 2009
I'm using both the the MBA screen (9C8F no lines) and 13" MBP screen (9CBD). The MBA does have a better viewing angle, but that's due to the absence of glass panel. Both screens are decently bright, but you can also see that neither is the most color accurate (being TN) display on there. I do feel that the glass on MBP adds a deeper tone on blacks, which makes the overall viewing more comfortable. However, the MBA's screen wins in useability in most conditions, because it is not nearly as reflective as MBP's glass display.

G.T.

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
I thought all apples laptops were still 6 bit per channel i think so 18 bit colour, no? not 8 bit which would equal 24 bit? Cause there was the law suit that the laptops were not showing millions of colours? Or are the new unibody 2009 15" upwards with the new display with higher gamut now 8 bit?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.