Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
I am very interested in contributing what I can to this project, but it seems to me that having your processors slammed all the time is not necessarily the best thing to be doing. Although on the other hand, thats what these machines are made for, right?

Any insight?

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Large businesses try very hard to get every ounce of processing power out of a cpu, otherwise it is just wasted money to have the cpu sitting there doing nothing but sucking power. If you've got the power to spare, why not use it? :)

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Large businesses try very hard to get every ounce of processing power out of a cpu, otherwise it is just wasted money to have the cpu sitting there doing nothing but sucking power. If you've got the power to spare, why not use it? :)

Thats basically my thoughts

brooker

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2007
PacNW
It will use more power, but if electricity is cheap where you are, it may not be a big deal. Uh... if you really want to see the effect, you could get one of those power meters that plugs into your outlet, and tells you how much juice your hardware is sucking -- there will likely be a big difference when the machine is under load as opposed to idle, even on the MP, which isn't exactly optimized to conserve power.

but hey, you do have the power, so fold away!

Magnus Reftel

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
I am very interested in contributing what I can to this project, but it seems to me that having your processors slammed all the time is not necessarily the best thing to be doing. Although on the other hand, thats what these machines are made for, right?

Any insight?

Apart from the power issue that others have mentioned, the only bad thing that folding@home could cause that I can come up with is increased wear on the CPU fan. Shouldn't be a big problem, though.

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
I dislike the increased noise and heat that these programs cause by running the CPU flat out. Also, although they're not supposed to, I do find they make systems a tiny bit more unresponsive.

I love the idea, but the reality is that I always end up removing them after a few work units. :(

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
I dislike the increased noise and heat that these programs cause by running the CPU flat out. Also, although they're not supposed to, I do find they make systems a tiny bit more unresponsive.

I love the idea, but the reality is that I always end up removing them after a few work units. :(

I'm running SETI using the BOINC client on my iMac and a couple of Windoze laptops. The iMac doesn't show any ill effects from the extra processing - no fan noise, no perceptable slow-down of other processes. The laptops on the other hand behave completely differently, it's almost impossible to do a parallel task while SETI is running and the fans are constantly at full speed - they sound like a couple of jet engines getting ready for take-off.

The strange think though is that the both the Windows laptops process SETI work-units quicker than the iMac and this I find strange especially as the older machine is a 900Mhz Celeron with bugger-all memory. The settings on all machines are the same so I'm at a loss to explain this...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.