Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Naiera

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
Denmark
My CanoScan 5600F wasn't doing so hot after updating to Catalina, and trying to make it work better just broke everything. It seems that Canon has dropped support for MacOS entirely. Trying to go through Windows 10 via Parallels did nothing either.

So, does anyone have a scanner that is fully supported in Catalina? I'm only looking for flatbed type scanners like the 5600F, and preferably no bigger, as desk space is already at a premium. Not interested at all in a printer combo :)

Naiera

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
Denmark
Pretty sure. I'm no expert, as I've just been doing the same thing with the same scanner for many years, but it doesn't look too good.

Attachments

• prettysure.jpg
    prettysure.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 328

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
My CanoScan 5600F wasn't doing so hot after updating to Catalina, and trying to make it work better just broke everything. It seems that Canon has dropped support for MacOS entirely. Trying to go through Windows 10 via Parallels did nothing either.

So, does anyone have a scanner that is fully supported in Catalina? I'm only looking for flatbed type scanners like the 5600F, and preferably no bigger, as desk space is already at a premium. Not interested at all in a printer combo :)

I'm not running Catalina but here is the Canon official list of Canon scanners approved for use under Catalina (i.e. it looks like Canon has not dropped support for MacOS entirely).

Your CanoScan 5600F wasn't on the list so I'm not surprised.

I own the Canon LIDE 220 (it is on the list) and I highly recommend it (I'm running Mojave).

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Pretty sure. I'm no expert, as I've just been doing the same thing with the same scanner for many years, but it doesn't look too good.
It looks like the scanner and computer are talking. I trust VueScan. Do you have installed Canon drivers? They might be messing up VueScan’s activities. It could be useful to uninstall all Canon stuff, even if you have to do a clean install of Catalina to make it happen.

Reactions: Naiera

Naiera

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
Denmark
It could be useful to uninstall all Canon stuff, even if you have to do a clean install of Catalina to make it happen.

That's not happening. I think that's an unacceptable amount of bother.

I'm not running Catalina but here is the Canon official list of Canon scanners approved for use under Catalina (i.e. it looks like Canon has not dropped support for MacOS entirely).

Your CanoScan 5600F wasn't on the list so I'm not surprised.

I own the Canon LIDE 220 (it is on the list) and I highly recommend it (I'm running Mojave).

Thank you for the suggestion.

I unmounted the scanner in Printers & Scanners, and now it's not working in a different way in VueScan. I managed to get it previewing once, but it was taking several minutes and made an extremely annoying and previously unheard of noise when I decided to forcefully shut it down. Now VueScan just doesn't recognise the scanner.
[automerge]1576599421[/automerge]
I've ordered the LiDE 400 for just under $100 shipped. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'd removed Canon from contention because I read somewhere that they'd just stopped supporting Mac.

Last edited:

kaibob

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Prescott, Arizona

I use an Epson Perfection V19 entry-level scanner, and I'm running Catalina. New scanner software was available from Epson soon after Catalina's release, and it works fine for me. My scanning needs and the Epson software are both pretty basic. You may need something more.

Reactions: Naiera

Naiera

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
Denmark
I'm not sure I do, but I bought a newer Canon that definitely has Catalina software, and I can always return it if it's crap. I'll take Epson into consideration if the new LiDE doesn't work out.

Naiera

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
Denmark
I got the LiDE 400 and while the software seems a bit too simplistic, I managed to set it up to scan the way I want it. I might give VueScan a go, to see if I can get the features from the old software back.

Naiera

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
Denmark
I’ve found that it loses connection if I put the iMac to sleep. I guess that’s to be expected, with how “well” Catalina’s been acting in regards to power management. Not too big a hassle to yank the USB-C cable once in a while, but stuff like that shouldn’t ne necessary, of course.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I’ve found that it loses connection if I put the iMac to sleep. I guess that’s to be expected, with how “well” Catalina’s been acting in regards to power management. Not too big a hassle to yank the USB-C cable once in a while, but stuff like that shouldn’t ne necessary, of course."

Does the scanner have a power switch?
If the Mac "drops" the scanner while sleeping, I'd try to cycle the power switch off and on, instead of "pulling the USB plug".
Less wear on the plug that way...

johnnyzg

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2017
Zagreb
I've just upgraded from Mojave 10.14.6 to Catalina 10.15.6 and my CanoScan 5600F is working, even with drivers which were already installed and MP EX Navigator software, but I will see if it will continue to work OK in next several days as I don't want to buy new scanner just because of macOS upgrade.

johnnyzg

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2017
Zagreb
I've just upgraded from Mojave 10.14.6 to Catalina 10.15.6 and my CanoScan 5600F is working, even with drivers which were already installed and MP EX Navigator software, but I will see if it will continue to work OK in next several days as I don't want to buy new scanner just because of macOS upgrade.
It seems that scanner is always working on second try. Each time I try to scan with MP EX Navigator there is error that scanner can't be found, but if I try again it works. I've tried scanning regular documents, photos and film negatives.
I've also tried VueScan, but sometimes it is not recognizing multiple photos/documents correctly and for film negatives it is not trimming borders so manual corrections are needed for every photo.

johnnyzg

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2017
Zagreb
Now I've tried using CanoScan 5600F on BigSur MacBook Air M1 and it works flawless :)
I have downloaded the following from usa.canon.com for macOS Mojave 10.14:
1. Software: MP Navigator EX Ver. 2.0.9 (Mac)
2. Drivers: 5600F Scanner Driver Ver.14.11.5h (Mac) - only this driver

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.