Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DKWalser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2023
Mesa, Arizona, United States
I automated many of our home's lights in the early 2000s, using mostly Insteon plug-in dimmers. Insteon is a dying, if not already dead, technology that sends commands over a home's powerlines and by radio. The software I use to control my 'smart home' will not run on the latest MacOS, so I have an old iMac dedicated to running that software. I am in the process of moving everything over to Apple's Home platform and need some dimmable smart plugs. I need several for use inside our home. I also need some that can be used outside.

Some important considerations: We live in the United States desert Southwest. During the summer, outside temps routinely exceed 40C. Also, the home was built in the 1980s. The wiring does NOT include the 'extra' neutral wire. While I would prefer to use devices that are compatible with Homekit out of the box, I'm open to using a bridge (such as HOOBS) -- assuming using a bridge will get me the reliability and performance I need.

I realize that much of what I want to do could be accomplished by simply replacing existing light bulbs with smart bulbs. The thing is, in several of our rooms I run more than one lamp from the same outlet. Some of those lamps use more than one bulb. Using smart bulbs instead of smart plugs would require many more smart devices.

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
I used to use the WEMO switches which at the time did allow you to dim the lights. However I switched to the wiz light bulbs so not sure if that feature is still available.

Reactions: DKWalser

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I know Lutron Caseta has a plug in dimmer but it requires a hub for HomeKit. I have a few and they work great. I believe Leviton came out with one recently too. Not too sure about an outdoor version though.

Reactions: DKWalser

BobRey77

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2021
Lutron makes a dimmable lamp plug. It requires the Caseta smart bridge which controls all the Lutron Caseta switches and dimmers. The Lutron Caseta product line is expensive but is absolutely bullet proof. Once installed it just works without any of the resetting required with Wemo plugs (which aren't dimmable to my knowledge).

Reactions: Arran

ebinder

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2006
Also, there is the meross MPD100 indoor/outdoor smart plug-in dimmer. I have been using it indoors for a few weeks It's been working fine so far. Home is on 16.5.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
I used to use the WEMO switches which at the time did allow you to dim the lights. However I switched to the wiz light bulbs so not sure if that feature is still available.
Interesting. I've had gen 1, 2 and 3 Wemo plugs and none have been dimmable.

I guess they never released the dimmable ones in the US?

What country are you in?

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Lutron makes a dimmable lamp plug. It requires the Caseta smart bridge which controls all the Lutron Caseta switches and dimmers. The Lutron Caseta product line is expensive but is absolutely bullet proof. Once installed it just works without any of the resetting required with Wemo plugs (which aren't dimmable to my knowledge).
Caseta's the only one I know of.

And I totally agree with you: Caseta's a bulletproof product.

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
Interesting. I've had gen 1, 2 and 3 Wemo plugs and none have been dimmable.

I guess they never released the dimmable ones in the US?

What country are you in?
In the timeframe I was thinking of I lived in Europe, Canada, and the US. I doubt that Belkin would have release a different (better) product outside of its home country and their current product line does not seem to offer a dimmable plug in though they offer a dimmable light switch. That said it could be I confused the Phillips hub (before they switch to wiz) with the Wemo.

In any case I now use mainly the wiz bulbs but also the Phillips hue system to turn on and off lights with a switch for the tech challenged in my house :)

DKWalser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2023
Mesa, Arizona, United States
I ended up using the Lutron dimmable lamp plug. I have them set up and it couldn't have be simpler.

Overall, I'm satisfied with the Lutron solution, but there is a lot of room for improvement. For one thing, Lutron's dimmable lamp plug has two controlled outlets, but they are controlled as one unit. You cannot control them separately. For another, the module is too large. But, it works and it works with Homekit.

Avery1

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2010
I don't think the National Electrical Code allows any receptacle to be dimmable, unless it is specifically purposed for a lamp (Lutron's solution requires you to cut the plug off your lamp and attach a specialty plug, which prevents other devices from being plugged into the receptacle). Low voltages for many devices could be a problem.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I don't think the National Electrical Code allows any receptacle to be dimmable, unless it is specifically purposed for a lamp (Lutron's solution requires you to cut the plug off your lamp and attach a specialty plug, which prevents other devices from being plugged into the receptacle). Low voltages for many devices could be a problem.
My Lutron plug in dimmers accept a standard NA two prong plug. Didn’t have to cut and attach anything special.

Reactions: Avery1

Avery1

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2010
My Lutron plug in dimmers accept a standard NA two prong plug. Didn’t have to cut and attach anything special.
Sorry, I messed that up. They offer a receptacle that is dimmable, and per NEC that requires the cord be cut and a special end attached. You're right that the stand alone dimming box doesn't require that... I was off. If you want a receptacle in the wall that can handle dimming, you have to go the other way.

Here is that device:

Here, Lutron explains the NEC dimming receptacle requirement for a special purpose plug on the device:

Last edited:
Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Sorry, I messed that up. They offer a receptacle that is dimmable, and per NEC that requires the cord be cut and a special end attached. You're right that the stand alone dimming box doesn't require that... I was off. If you want a receptacle in the wall that can handle dimming, you have to go the other way.

Here is that device:

Here, Lutron explains the NEC dimming receptacle requirement for a special purpose plug on the device:
Sure, no worries. Just wanted to make sure the OP gets what they’re looking for… and I didn’t even know about that receptacle so I learned something lol

Reactions: Avery1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.