Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vyse2020

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 2, 2020
I use the Paramount+ app currently. Are there any downsides to this? Will I still be able to watch applicable content in 4K/Dolby Vision? Also will I be able to share the subscription via Apple Family?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I couldn't say for AppleTV. But on my Firesticks. If I have two Fire TV Sticks setup on different Prime accounts. I can't share paid channels. While I can install standalone account apps on different Fire TV Sticks. Even though both Prime accounts share the Prime service.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I use the Paramount+ app currently. Are there any downsides to this? Will I still be able to watch applicable content in 4K/Dolby Vision? Also will I be able to share the subscription via Apple Family?
Is it the ad-free tier? If so, both the native app and Apple TV app will provide 4K with Dolby Vision. As for sharing the subscription, you will have to share the login. Their native app also allow features like downloading for offline viewing and 3 simultaneous streams, same as Apple TV Channels.

The only real reasons for subscribing to Paramount+ outside Apple TV Channels is for:
  • You prefer Paramount+ app's profile management
  • Ad-supported Essentials plan
  • Annual pricing option ($99.99/year)
  • Paramount+ SHOWTIME bundle ($12.99/month or $129.99/year)

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I'd also add that if you subscribe to Paramount+ directly, you can use the discount codes that are widely available. All you have to do is unsubscribe before the end of the 30 day period and then resubscribe with a new code.

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Only thing I can think up of is if you get Apple One, this may not play as nicely (if at all) vs. if ATV+ were independent?

That said, I've been getting all of my streaming services independently, via web, but that's just my preference.

Is it the ad-free tier? If so, both the native app and Apple TV app will provide 4K with Dolby Vision. As for sharing the subscription, you will have to share the login. Their native app also allow features like downloading for offline viewing and 3 simultaneous streams, same as Apple TV Channels.

The only real reasons for subscribing to Paramount+ outside Apple TV Channels is for:
  • You prefer Paramount+ app's profile management
  • Ad-supported Essentials plan
  • Annual pricing option ($99.99/year)
  • Paramount+ SHOWTIME bundle ($12.99/month or $129.99/year)
As a corollary to #1, wouldn't you be on Paramount Plus' interface when you watch ATV+ stuff, or is this still done through ATV+ website (or app)?

For the rest, aren't those true regardless what the OP chooses?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.