Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coolerking

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
While playing video games on the Macbook aren't important to me, I'm just curious what and if you can play anything on the MB.

thanks

lewion

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Sydney
Coolerking said:
While playing video games on the Macbook aren't important to me, I'm just curious what and if you can play anything on the MB.

thanks

A lot and even some of the great games out there!

I'll say a few games if you'fe interested

Cod2 works like a charm, keep it on default settings
Hl2 works like a charm (bootcamp) see somewhere on the forum for the loading crash problem
Civ4 Working
Doom3 works but not at the fastest side 25-35fps still playable though
Battlefield 2 (bootcamp) works like a charm

Do i need to tell more :)

lewion

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Sydney
As for that loading crash problem of hl2!

Right click your Half Life 2 icon on your desktop (the one you would normally double-click to launch the game). Then click Properties. Click the Shortcut Tab. In the line labeled Target, you will see something like this, depending on where you put the program when you installed it:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 22

Copy and paste the following AFTER the above line:

+mat_forcehardwaresync 0 +snd_async_prefetch_priority 1

Be sure there is a space between -applaunch 22 and +mat

and voila have a nice day :) you can also set it to directx 7 if youd like for some extra performance...
just add -dxlevel 70 to the line!

Coolerking

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
What is cod?

I assume Hl2 is Half Life 2.

I guess if I was going to get a computer game it would be a FPS like doom 3 (but I don't think it would work on MB)

Thanks for the info!

lewion

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Sydney
Coolerking said:
What is cod?

I assume Hl2 is Half Life 2.

I guess if I was going to get a computer game it would be a FPS like doom 3 (but I don't think it would work on MB)

Thanks for the info!

i just said doom3 worked i even have a video and it looks fast

Cod is call of duty but is said cod2 so .... :)

Coolerking

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
lewion said:
i just said doom3 worked i even have a video and it looks fast

Cod is call of duty but is said cod2 so .... :)

Oh, sorry I missed that. Might have to get doom then.

Thnx again

lewion

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Sydney
Coolerking said:
Oh, sorry I missed that. Might have to get doom then.

Thnx again

No problem =) like to help people out that have the same problem as i had... Merom or no merom the macbooks gonna be ordered on the 16th for me
Maybe i even go to apple store and have it right away on the 16th... as i live in belgium thats not much of a problem... not everyone needs a mac right :)

Coolerking

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
lewion said:
No problem =) like to help people out that have the same problem as i had... Merom or no merom the macbooks gonna be ordered on the 16th for me
Maybe i even go to apple store and have it right away on the 16th... as i live in belgium thats not much of a problem... not everyone needs a mac right :)

Man, it just seems like Doom 3 would be slow with these requirements:

System Requirements (from apple website):
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.6 or later
CPU Processor: PowerPC G5 or later
CPU Speed: 1.5GHz or faster
Memory: 384 MB or higher
Hard Disk Space: 2.2GB free disk space
Video Card (ATI): Radeon 8500 or better
Video Card (NVidia): GeForce FX 5200 or better
Video Memory (VRam): 64 MB or higher
Media Required: DVD Drive

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
World of Warcraft and Civ 4 play beautifully

Sure! You'll probably be able to play just about everything except for the latest First-person shooters. But even a lot 3D games are fine in general.

For example, I am able to play WoW will all the default settings (already up to level 37 orc warlock). My only caveat is that I do mostly solo adventuring, and my MacBook has 1.25 GB of RAM. The game performs beautifully and I'm even comfortable just using the trackpad to play - no mouse needed! I think all the people that assume you can't play WoW with integrated graphics obviously have never tried it on a MacBook. To reiterate I've basically had NO issues and have greatly enjoyed playing WoW for many, many hours on end.

...The only other game I've bought for my MacBook is Civ 4. Again, it performs beautifully (the only glitches are bugs in the Civ 4 for the Mac OS X, they're not specific to the MacBook itself). I was able to play a Large world size to completion (2050, won by points), and the interface was just as fast if not faster than any other Civ version I've tried (e.g. Civ 3 on Windows).

Coolerking

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
lmalave said:
Sure! You'll probably be able to play just about everything except for the latest First-person shooters. But even a lot 3D games are fine in general.

For example, I am able to play WoW will all the default settings (already up to level 37 orc warlock). My only caveat is that I do mostly solo adventuring, and my MacBook has 1.25 GB of RAM. The game performs beautifully and I'm even comfortable just using the trackpad to play - no mouse needed! I think all the people that assume you can't play WoW with integrated graphics obviously have never tried it on a MacBook. To reiterate I've basically had NO issues and have greatly enjoyed playing WoW for many, many hours on end.

...The only other game I've bought for my MacBook is Civ 4. Again, it performs beautifully (the only glitches are bugs in the Civ 4 for the Mac OS X, they're not specific to the MacBook itself). I was able to play a Large world size to completion (2050, won by points), and the interface was just as fast if not faster than any other Civ version I've tried (e.g. Civ 3 on Windows).

I'm not a big fan of quest games, but its good to know they are an option. More often than not I play PS2 or PSP, but some games you can only find on the computer.

Ninjabelly

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2005
lmalave said:

I think the problem people have with WoW on the macbook is once you move up to the higher level 20 and 40 man instances. I know people with the last generation of nvidia cards 6600 to 6800 who see moderate lag with them when there is alot going on around them. WoW however for non 60 casual playing on a Macbook is more then fine.

lewion

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Sydney
Coolerking said:
Man, it just seems like Doom 3 would be slow with these requirements:

System Requirements (from apple website):
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.3.6 or later
CPU Processor: PowerPC G5 or later
CPU Speed: 1.5GHz or faster
Memory: 384 MB or higher
Hard Disk Space: 2.2GB free disk space
Video Card (ATI): Radeon 8500 or better
Video Card (NVidia): GeForce FX 5200 or better
Video Memory (VRam): 64 MB or higher
Media Required: DVD Drive

ahum ever heard of a WINDOWS version...??? :) that'll sort it out

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
lewion said:
A lot and even some of the great games out there!

I'll say a few games if you'fe interested

Cod2 works like a charm, keep it on default settings
Hl2 works like a charm (bootcamp) see somewhere on the forum for the loading crash problem
Civ4 Working
Doom3 works but not at the fastest side 25-35fps still playable though
Battlefield 2 (bootcamp) works like a charm

Do i need to tell more :)

I seriously doubt that HL2 will work like a "charm" on a MB... unless you play it at like 640*480 with all options turned off.

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
HF is quite a demanding game graphically, and system requirements wise, it's hardly anything near Oblivion. I doubt these games will run comfortablely on a MacBook. Imagine how good MacBooks would have been if they'd have managed a half decent video card.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
I just got a new MacBook, I have a ton of games and I'm 39 minutes away (according to the stupid lengthy winxp installation) from installing windows... I'll let you know what the macbook can play and how well it can.

Hopefully the GMA950 is not as bad as I think but I'm not expecting great performance out of anything.

lewion

macrumors regular
May 31, 2006
Sydney
generik said:
I seriously doubt that HL2 will work like a "charm" on a MB... unless you play it at like 640*480 with all options turned off.

Even hl2 episode one works good.. and no it isn't 640*480... its 1024*768 ! anyway lol it does work and it does it good

MacBook is a nice system...

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
lmalave said:

I run Civ IV on my macbook (2Ghz, 2 GB RAM) quite a bit and it does NOT play "beautifully." I play in 1024x768 with all the settings turned down. I can certainly play a full game, but there's definitely some delay when moving to a new unit, entering a city, etc. Definitely not a "snappy" experience, and not for the impatient.

The only other game I play on my MB is Warcraft III, and that runs fantastically, even with Rosetta.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.