Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noveluser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2020
I bought my Aura Pro X2 from the online retailer under a month ago, excited to upgrade my Mac Air's SSD yet still cautious I went for the 240 GB drive. Having always used their memory products on my mac pro 4,1 I didn't consider watching many reviews or do much internet scouring and I believe that was my first mistake. I did not do a clean install then use migration manager, instead I used a ccc to restore from my back up the moment I popped the Aura Pro in.

Standby/Sleepmode/Hibernation issues seem to be a trend no matter the ssd blade upgrade, the computer seems to be slightly slower (definitely more cautious when I have too many tabs open) but just yesterday, twenty days into the upgrade my mac gets stuck at the progress bar on startup. Prior to the upgrade I'd never seen a progress bar, simply powered on and password screen, so at first I thought this was just my Aura Pro getting use to things. This time around I tried twice until I realized it was not turning on, tried booting into safe mode to no avail, I booted into verbose mode and (I took a blurry picture but found a similar issue to mine online) this is what it told me:

Executing fsck_hfs (version diskdev_cmds-557-393)
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
The volume name is Aura Pro X2
Checking extents overflow file.
Checking catalog file
Incorrect number of thread records (4, 26478)
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking catalog hierarchy
Checking extended attributes file
Incorrect number of extended attributes (It should be 518633 instead of 518634)
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired after 3 attempts.

I saw some fixes, online involving single user mode, I decided that at this point I should just restore, this time doing a fresh install and then using migration manager. What I want to know if it's worth fighting with this thing, should I ask OWC for a replacement, demand a refund, do I need an M.2 adapter, have I potentially skipped a step. Im looking for success stories and possibly a reason to keep this thing (is it wrong that I just want it to work)

One positive, I had the little caution symbol next to my battery icon and it's now gone and I do feel battery life is okay.

badawat

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2013
I bought my Aura Pro X2 from the online retailer under a month ago, excited to upgrade my Mac Air's SSD yet still cautious I went for the 240 GB drive. Having always used their memory products on my mac pro 4,1 I didn't consider watching many reviews or do much internet scouring and I believe that was my first mistake. I did not do a clean install then use migration manager, instead I used a ccc to restore from my back up the moment I popped the Aura Pro in.

Standby/Sleepmode/Hibernation issues seem to be a trend no matter the ssd blade upgrade, the computer seems to be slightly slower (definitely more cautious when I have too many tabs open) but just yesterday, twenty days into the upgrade my mac gets stuck at the progress bar on startup. Prior to the upgrade I'd never seen a progress bar, simply powered on and password screen, so at first I thought this was just my Aura Pro getting use to things. This time around I tried twice until I realized it was not turning on, tried booting into safe mode to no avail, I booted into verbose mode and (I took a blurry picture but found a similar issue to mine online) this is what it told me:

Executing fsck_hfs (version diskdev_cmds-557-393)
Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
The volume name is Aura Pro X2
Checking extents overflow file.
Checking catalog file
Incorrect number of thread records (4, 26478)
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking catalog hierarchy
Checking extended attributes file
Incorrect number of extended attributes (It should be 518633 instead of 518634)
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired after 3 attempts.

I saw some fixes, online involving single user mode, I decided that at this point I should just restore, this time doing a fresh install and then using migration manager. What I want to know if it's worth fighting with this thing, should I ask OWC for a replacement, demand a refund, do I need an M.2 adapter, have I potentially skipped a step. Im looking for success stories and possibly a reason to keep this thing (is it wrong that I just want it to work)

One positive, I had the little caution symbol next to my battery icon and it's now gone and I do feel battery life is okay.
There's a very long and detailed thread on here somewhere which has thousands of replies and hundreds of pages of advice from success and failure stories. I big issues depends on your mac. My understanding is that 2015 MBPs don't have issues, 2014 MBPs have hibernation issues. I'm not sure about MBAs but the other thread goes into great detail including MBA, defo worth a look over there.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The 2015 Air and Pro do not have problems with sleep or hibernation as the bootrom has the necessary NVMe drivers to allow this. The 2013 and 2014 Air and Pro need to have sleep disabled or be flashed with a modded bootrom. There is no other way around this issue with any non-Apple SSD.

Reactions: pbsxr

noveluser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2020
I've seen the read it doesn't cover the Aura Pro extensively and its known issues

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The Aura Pro is really no different that any other NVMe drive in its behaviour with a 2013 and 2014 Pro/Air.

There isn't much talk about the OWC drives because you can achieve better results, save a lot of money, and re-use a standard NVMe drive in another Mac or PC by using an m.2 adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.