Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BallparkDreamer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2015
I don't know much about the android universe, as I'm a pretty strict Apple fanboy. I was thinking about picking up an android tablet just to kind of learn the ecosystem and whatnot. Don't want to spend a ton (<= 200), so is there anything you'd recommend?

If you don't care about downloading the apps you can download the Android simulator bundled with the Android SDK, or if you have a Mac and Parallels, they allow you to download an Android (tablet-based) OS that you can try out for free. If you would much rather have a device you can pick one up for a pretty low price from just about anywhere, you might check your local Walmart for a low price. I like to stick with the name brand stuff and I saw an Acer (pretty good) Android tablet with an 8" screen going for about ~$120.

RCA had a few ranging from $40 - $100 but not sure how good they are.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
I guess a Nexus would be cleanest to keep resources free for running apps.

TBH whilst there are plenty of alternatives to Apple phones, I find Android tablets significantly behind iPads.

Maybe it's just my needs but software is a huge deal and I haven't seen evidence to suggest the Android tablet scene is worth me switching.

Reactions: Flow39
I'd just do some research on it, find out how long it's been out, what is the highest version of Android it supports (since it comes with 5.0 and I think 6.0 is the latest and greatest), and what is the resale value of it in case you want to sell it when you are done with it. Personally, I'd just go to a computer shop and mess with one for a while just to see if it's any good. I'm a big Apple fan as well and I'm not a big fan of Android, just not my cup of tea. Seems it's just sold for the customization options.

Reactions: BallparkDreamer

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
It appears there is no upgrade plan to get that tablet to Marshmallow. This upgrade matrix does not list that device and has a note that devices not listed have no upgrades planned.

Android Upgrade Matrix - Lenovo Support (US)
[doublepost=1460246404][/doublepost]
RCA had a few ranging from $40 - $100 but not sure how good they are.

I can assure you that anyone looking to get an Android device to check out the ecosystem will quickly go back to the platform they used to be on because the experience with one of those devices will be atrocious.

This article pretty much sums it up. While it talks specifically about Black Friday, the same idea holds true. Please don't buy a crappy cheap tablet on Black Friday | Android Central

A used Nexus 9 can be had for under $200 on Swappa and the experience will be MILES better than those RCA tablets.

BallparkDreamer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2015
It appears there is no upgrade plan to get that tablet to Marshmallow. This upgrade matrix does not list that device and has a note that devices not listed have no upgrades planned.

Android Upgrade Matrix - Lenovo Support (US)
[doublepost=1460246404][/doublepost]

I can assure you that anyone looking to get an Android device to check out the ecosystem will quickly go back to the platform they used to be on because the experience with one of those devices will be atrocious.

This article pretty much sums it up. While it talks specifically about Black Friday, the same idea holds true. Please don't buy a crappy cheap tablet on Black Friday | Android Central

A used Nexus 9 can be had for under $200 on Swappa and the experience will be MILES better than those RCA tablets.

I appreciate that article! Looked at the nexus 9, but since the iPad Air 2 is a similar size I think I'll grab the Nvidia Shield k1! Seems to be really popular, and a really solid device :D

Flow39

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2014
The Apple Store
I'd personally go with a Nexus 9, Nvidia Shield, or Pixel C(which I'm looking to pick up right now). But, for roughly $200, the Shield is your best option and it looks like you're picking one up!

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
Nvidea Shield K1

Good specs for the price, and there's some indication Nvidea are committed to keeping it up to date - it received Marshmallow update in December, which was pretty fast compared to other Android devices.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.