Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twocircles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2011
Other than dedicated apps that go to Facebook or some other dedicated destination, is anyone developing an app that will allow unrestricted surfing of the Internet?

I currently have my “TV” connected to a computer. I like to be able to go to other web sites after I watch Netflix. Any chance of being able to do that on Apple TV?

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Unlikely, as tvOS doesn't include the frameworks necessary to render web content. (No WebKit, etc.)

Instead, you can AirPlay to the tv from Safari running on your iPhone.

twocircles

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2011
I thought we might be able to use AirPlay.

I am mainly curious if this is a hardware limitation, an OS limitation or a software limitation. It sounds like it is an OS limitation, so it would take a jailbreak to make it happen.

I am not saying it would be worth it. I am just trying to get a feel for what Apple TV and cannot do.

So, for me, since I only subscribe to Netflix, this would basically be a Netflix box, so I would not have to have a computer tied up. But, if I wanted to go onto the Internet, I would have to sync a computer or iPad while I did that.

Last edited:

Hemel

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2011
I would love to have a browser for the Apple TV. I travel a lot and take mine with me all the time and it sucks that if I need the Apple TV to access hotel wifi, I need to phone their tech services and get the Mac address added....

SG94

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2015
Sheffield UK
There is an app.
You run it on your phone but it streams over AirPlay full screen on your TV and the phone becomes the mouse/touchpad.

It's called Air Browser.
Best solution I have found to date.

AtheistP3ace

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2014
Philly
Would be really cool to have a native app for this without airplay or anything. Since there are no available frameworks does that mean it could never be done without apple or could someone develop it all from the ground up? Just a question to try and understand how this whole tvOS thing works. I'm not really sure what is possible with this new OS. Is it limitless and only thing stopping things from happening are apple approving it or someone not developing it?

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Would be good to have the News App which you can add channels to for different sites. The News App really needs to be synchronized across devices, why didn't that happen?

Reactions: AtheistP3ace

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Would be really cool to have a native app for this without airplay or anything. Since there are no available frameworks does that mean it could never be done without apple or could someone develop it all from the ground up?

Webkit rendering is a private API on tvOS. Apple won't approve apps that use a private API for distribution from their App store.

However, you could install Xcode on your Mac, register for a free Apple Developer ID, download source code for a tvOS browser (there's at least one on github), build the app, and install it on your own Apple TV using a USB-C cable.

Reactions: AtheistP3ace
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.