Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 18, 2010
Looking to get a mini in the near future (after the holidays). I was just curious if some of the new Intel chips were slated to be a spec bump any time soon?

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
There are some mobile and desktop chips (they weere here even years before -> see the iMac computers from year 2013 and onward), that are using the much better Intel Iris/Iris Plus/Iris Pro series of GPUs, but for whatever reason, they are not featured in Apple's Mac mini computers.

Only Apple knows, if the will update the actual Mac mini (2018) this year. I think, they wont. Maybe next year in 2020.

However it is worth to wait 2-3 weeks, to see, if there will be a slight speed-bump, with the 9th or 10th generation CPUs.

Reactions: J.Gallardo

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
There may indeed be "better chips", but THIS VERSION of the Mini isn't gonna see 'em !!

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
There are some mobile and desktop chips (they weere here even years before -> see the iMac computers from year 2013 and onward), that are using the much better Intel Iris/Iris Plus/Iris Pro series of GPUs, but for whatever reason, they are not featured in Apple's Mac mini computers.

Only Apple knows, if the will update the actual Mac mini (2018) this year. I think, they wont. Maybe next year in 2020.

However it is worth to wait 2-3 weeks, to see, if there will be a slight speed-bump, with the 9th or 10th generation CPUs.

because intel doesn't offer comparable chips with better graphics in the mini, they would have needed a discrete chip, which would add cost, complexity, and a lot of additional cooling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.