Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Farrgazer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 25, 2017
Size and weight don’t matter. I figure I’d ask around here since I imagine a fair number of readers own a Mac of some shape or form.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Razer is like mac. XPS is similar as well.
But there are others that aren't like a mac, but with great build quality, or even better. For instance, Surface Book has great build quality imho. Thinkpads don't use aluminium, but their chassis is more rugged and durable, and to me, it feels way better in hand than aluminium. Surface Book is made out of magnesium I think?

There are some really nice options out there. If anyone told me a few years ago that I would consider thinkpad to be better built than MBP, I would call them insane. My point is, only way to find out what is good for you - try it out. Either in some stores, or by simply ordering.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
MS Surface laptops build is better and more expensive than MB being from magnesium as too is Razer although built of Ali it is more serviceable.

Reactions: kazmac

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Another vote for Razer, the unibody design, and fast performance - its really a great machine. I also like the ThinkPad X1 Extreme. While not "sexy" as the Razer, and clearly not a gaming laptop, its a great machine, and it has the best keyboard by far.

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
The ThinkPad T series continues to be well made, high quality laptops, though they're not strictly gaming laptops.

Reactions: Val-kyrie

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
Depends on what you mean by build quality.

Apple's superficial build quality is unmatched. Their attention to detail to how the components look and feel to your average Joe is second to none. Surface comes fairly close, but Apple still has it on lock.

Thing is though, the product engineering of Apple systems is crap in a way that e.g. Lenovo's Thinkpad line isn't. Apple designers are often so obsessed with how things like PCB's and arrangement of parts on said PCB's look, they don't seem to bother to see if it works as well as it appears - and it never does. This goes right up to the latest Mac Pro, never mind the laptops.

And on the other hand, while Surface's product engineering quality is definitely above Apple and is in many cases more bleeding-edge, their QA is diabolical. You get a good one, great. If you don't, get ready for an RMA marathon.

No experience with Razer's latest stuff - especially as they've only recently started selling in my neck of the woods. They seem to have built up a rep slowly but surely, and from what I've seen to date, might be the best halfway house.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Depends on what you mean by build quality.

Apple's superficial build quality is unmatched. Their attention to detail to how the components look and feel to your average Joe is second to none. Surface comes fairly close, but Apple still has it on lock.

Sorry I disagree with this simply as the complexity of the SB casing could not be easily achieved by Apple constriction methods

You only have to look at the complex curves on the base unit or even the grill pattern around the tablet portion to understand this along with the different surface properties you get with the more expensive magnesium body

Even the Razer surpasses Apple and as D2D always notes the extraordinary balance of the laptops

Apple have remained consistent and improvements are seldom for consumers and more to minimize material and construction costs

Others have caught up and you only have to look at Samsungs new Flex

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.