Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
I love the look of the dynamic desert wallpaper, but is that the ONLY dynamic desktop? A few more dynamic options would be nice.

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
It's the only one so far. Even if Apple doesn't include any others, people have figured out the file structure. So maybe it's something third parties can make & share.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Only one and it doesn't even work lol... always dark..
For some reason Apple opted to disable Dynamic Desktop with the dark mode turned on and always use the dark version of the background, meaning Dynamic Desktop only works with the light mode. I would rather have the two stay separate and don't mind having a light background during the daytime even if the rest of the UI is dark...

Reactions: Sdtrent

bookemdano

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2011
Can't find the post but someone said that the dynamic desktop did change while in dark mode, but it only cycled between the various nighttime photos. I don't have Mojave installed so I dunno for sure but maybe someone who does (who also has location services enabled) can verify based on star appearance or cloud formations whether the desktop background is changing subtly.

I would think Apple is going to have to make some sort of change before release though. Dark mode was the biggest touted feature during the keynote and so I would think most people are going to have it on. And they did talk enough about the dynamic desktop thing to the point where many users know about it. It's going to cause mass confusion if the two are completely incompatible with one another (and for no good reason). I would think they are already getting a lot of negative feedback on that decision.

MacBookSteve

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2018
For some reason Apple opted to disable Dynamic Desktop with the dark mode turned on and always use the dark version of the background, meaning Dynamic Desktop only works with the light mode. I would rather have the two stay separate and don't mind having a light background during the daytime even if the rest of the UI is dark...
Well that solves it ... lol how'd you figure that out.

Also I agree, stupid to have it disabled on dark mode. Who the **** isn't going to use Dark Mode? wow..

Starship67

Suspended
Oct 28, 2017
LA
Well that solves it ... lol how'd you figure that out.

Also I agree, stupid to have it disabled on dark mode. Who the **** isn't going to use Dark Mode? wow..

I discovered it when I switched off dark mode. I for one didn't like it at all switched it off. When Mojave comes out I don't see myself using dark mode. Looked awful to me.

sashimimi

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2015
/me thinks apple is working on some sort of adaptative theming / switching between dark and light modes depending on time (a little like the orange night filter thing). Would make some sort of sense for a dark mode to only allow the dark part(s) of a dynamic day/night theme afterall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.