Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2017
My OG Homepod died a few months ago.

I stream music using Spotify from my phone, iPad, Apple Silicon Mac to my Homepod. Usually, there was about a second delay between sound on my local device and the Homepod.

This delay also makes it impossible to watch a Netflix movie on my Mac and stream the audio to my Homepod which sounds much better than my 16" M1 Pro MBP speakers.

Has Apple done anything to fix this recently? How about the new upcoming Homepod?

TorbenIbsen

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2021
Two guesses. - We use Apple TV 4K connected to our TV and have two Homepod Mini as stereo speakers. That works without any delay. So perhaps the delay is "only" a Mac-related problem.

But there is another possibility I would check. - In my country (Denmark) we cannot officially buy Hompod Mini yet. So ours are imported from Germany (next door country). This means that our Homepod Minis cannot do any "smart" things, including not being able to use Siri. So it might be all those "smart" features which causes the delay. Perhaps turning off Siri and other smart features off will help? Obviously I cannot test this myself because there is no support for the smart things in my country yet.

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
My experience has been that Airplay doesn’t do a great job of syncing and maintaining synchronization among various speakers. I had particular trouble with both a HomePod and an AppleTV when I was using them - no idea why but it must be something with the os. At its worst, the sound could be a half second or even more out of sync; and at best, you could detect, if not be terribly bothered by, a slight delay from one set of speakers to another. Usually, stopping the music and restarting it would re-sync speakers that had drifted.

I didn’t realize though how much this affected the music until I got rid of my last Airplay devices and was able to switch to the Sonos app rather than using Airplay. The difference in sound quality was noticeable - my wife even mentioned it without knowing that I had changed anything. Everything became crisper and a bit brighter and the sound going from room to room just seemed much more seamless. That leads me to believe that airplay even has a hard time keeping stereo pairs in alignment - certainly not to the degree of precision that Sonos’ protocol offers. This is all with a fully wired network, btw.

Anyway, all that to say that I suspect syncing inaccuracy is why apple hasn’t been able to offer a true home cinema solution and why syncing between source and speakers continues to be a bear for users like yourself. It’s frustrating though that Apple can’t even seem to get your specific issue right, since streaming audio to a single speaker from a Mac that has control over both audio and video should be a slam dunk.

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
The answer seems to be Apple TV 4K. That is, if you stream video to Apple TV 4K, which in turn, is paired with HomePods, the audio and video will be in sync. But this setup will also require using a display device with HDMI connection.

Reactions: DarkAlexiel

macpeach55

macrumors 6502
Late to the party, but the lack of time alignment with Airplay is frustrating. I use the app Airfoil & it does a great job of aligning all the speakers in our place, plus the connection seems way more stable than Airplay - & it's especially nice for when you want to listen to something while moving from room to room.

Reactions: b17777

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
Late to the party, but the lack of time alignment with Airplay is frustrating. I use the app Airfoil & it does a great job of aligning all the speakers in our place, plus the connection seems way more stable than Airplay - & it's especially nice for when you want to listen to something while moving from room to room.
Airfoil is great for audio-only content (Apple Music, Spotify, podcasts, etc.). But it doesn't help with the delay when streaming video.

Reactions: b17777
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.