Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moomanjohnny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2014
California
So after my 2013 rMBP's logic board died, I've been trying to find a replacement that wouldn't die in 2 years. So I've decided to build a PC that will be powerful, have a lot of storage, and would be able to run Mac, Windows, and Linux. So after about a week of searching for parts I finally made this part list, so please tell me if I should change anything. Thanks in advanced!

Click here for the part list.

(Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place, this seemed like the most practical place to put it.)

Last edited:

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
Looks pretty solid. Pretty similar to my main hack (i7 4970K, Gigabyte z97x-ud7h, noctua cooler, ripjaws, evga based nvidia etc). Of course you'll need to use the nvidia web drivers for the 970, but no real issues there in the long run once your up and running. About the only thing I would change is the 2tb seagate. If its more for archiving/media use, consider the wd green, if you need performance consider the wd blue.

moomanjohnny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2014
California
Looks pretty solid. Pretty similar to my main hack (i7 4970K, Gigabyte z97x-ud7h, noctua cooler, ripjaws, evga based nvidia etc). Of course you'll need to use the nvidia web drivers for the 970, but no real issues there in the long run once your up and running. About the only thing I would change is the 2tb seagate. If its more for archiving/media use, consider the wd green, if you need performance consider the wd blue.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to switch the seagate hard drive to a wd green because it's used for documents and video storage. But I have one question, will iMessage and FaceTime work if I install UEFI Clover?

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
Looks like its all good for now. But if you've followed the history of imessage/facetime, there has been a period of time, late last year, early this year, where imessage support was spotty. But clover is the best way to go for the nvram support that imessage and facetime authentication needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.