Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Strooopwafel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2018
Hello,
Yesterday I bought a 2018 macbook pro 2.6 i7.
When I came home I installed the new throttling update.
Now my question is the screenshot below normal for a computer that had the update?
Kind regards

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2018-07-28 om 11.05.46.png
    Schermafbeelding 2018-07-28 om 11.05.46.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 224

markusberger

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
geekbench stresses various cpu instructions/work loads in quick succession. i won't really be possible to determine throttleing behaviour using geekbench. the scores only tell part of the story.

if you want to figure out if/how it throttles, use something like https://www.maxon.net/de/produkte/cinebench/ ... it stresses the cpu over a couple of seconds with a specific rendering task...

Strooopwafel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2018
geekbench stresses various cpu instructions/work loads in quick succession. i won't really be possible to determine throttleing behaviour using geekbench. the scores only tell part of the story.

if you want to figure out if/how it throttles, use something like https://www.maxon.net/de/produkte/cinebench/ ... it stresses the cpu over a couple of seconds with a specific rendering task...
I will download Cinebench now; I also hear weird noises when I test with geekbench. So I think I will have to go back to Apple eventually...
[doublepost=1532772039][/doublepost]

Well with Cinebench the clockspeed was indeed more steady, I heared no strange noises. Only when I test with Geekbench the weird ticking/whining noises start.

markusberger

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2012
there is another thread here somewhere about the noises the nvme ssd produces. apparently some ssds produce hissing/"beeping" noises when the ssd is stressed which geekbench does as well. cinebench not so much. try something like blackmagic or aja system test lite (app store) to measure ssd speeds and see if you hear noises then. this way you can isolate the issues from each other: cinebench (cpu stress), blackmagic/aja (ssd) ... geekbench includes cpu, ssd, and ram benchmarks so it's hard to know what is going on other than receiving a score ;)

Strooopwafel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2018
there is another thread here somewhere about the noises the nvme ssd produces. apparently some ssds produce hissing/"beeping" noises when the ssd is stressed which geekbench does as well. cinebench not so much. try something like blackmagic or aja system test lite (app store) to measure ssd speeds and see if you hear noises then. this way you can isolate the issues from each other: cinebench (cpu stress), blackmagic/aja (ssd) ... geekbench includes cpu, ssd, and ram benchmarks so it's hard to know what is going on other than receiving a score ;)
I tried blackmagic and there I hear a little noise. Cinebench not really a noise, you just hear the fans and the cpu processing. But with Geekbench 3/4 in the test you really hear a clicking/ticking sound. I only noticed these sounds today because yesterday I had my noice cancelling headphones on lol.

Also as I am noticing now: when I open a new tab on google chrome I hear a whining noise...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.