Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
Hi,

Let me put some context on my story, sorry for the long post 😶:

My dad lives in a different country than me. A few years ago I offered him an iPad mini 2 so he could make FaceTime video calls with his children, all living abroad. This summer I got him a new iPad (8th gen) to replace the Mini. I did a fresh install with no backup.
Since my dad is not very comfortable with tech (He doesn't live alone, but the other family members who live with him aren't comfortable with tech either.), and since he's getting old and starting to have health issues (lost of memory once in a while, for example), the only thing he's able to do is make and receive FaceTime calls. Even if I teach him other things, he would quickly get confused or forget stuff. So, for this reason, every potential "wild" screen or prompted text or notification on screen can get him in trouble, because he wouldn't know what he'd be doing and perhaps mess around.

So, two months ago we couldn't reach him anymore. We thought on problems with the Wi-Fi, at first. After some investigation, Wi-Fi was working in the house. He managed to tell me a few words of what was on screen: the iPad was asking for a code to unlock.
The problem is: I didn't set any password/pin code because I KNOW this iPad needs to be kept as simple to use as possible. A code is an extra step. Nobody is going to steal the device, there is no sensitive data inside it, so NO CODE!
It used to have a code back in the time of the iPad mini but I removed it long ago.
I then told my dad to try a few passwords I might have used in the past. None of them worked. After any attempt, the waiting time was getting longer and longer. So the inevitable happened: the iPad got locked for good.

Since nobody with tech knowledge and familiarized with Apple devices was around, the only solution I had was to get the iPad sent back to me (luckily a cousin was coming here for a few days on vacations and brought it with her) and I could easily reset the iPad and set it up as new.

Right now the device works great and everything is fine. I still couldn't figure the hell out why or how they got locked outside the iPad. As I didn't remember setting up a passcode. Maybe I was wrong and having memory trouble myself? 🥴

UNTIL TODAY. I might have finally understood what happened.

Some guy on a Apple dedicated Facebook group posted an issue with his iPhone. He opened the AppStore to download some app and got prompted by iOS to redefine a new passcode immediately to proceed.
Screenshot below:

264682804_2039394402889871_2319683719834121082_n.jpg

The exact same thing must have happened to my dad. He probably got this notification/prompt at some point, wasn't aware of what it was and what he was doing, probably typed some characters and the system assumed a new code. And probably the next time the iPad had to reboot he got locked out. At least it's the best hypothesis I can assume.

Which leads me to the reason of my post: isn't this the most stupid thing from Apple? Aren't they aware their devices are also used by simple persons who are not tech geeks and just use it for its simplicity? I purposely choose to keep the iPad as simple as possible to get my dad's life easy. Why can't they accept that and try to force things out?

Is there a way to NEVER get this kind of code requests ? Anybody can tell what's the exact context that lead to something like that to appear ?

Bonus question: is there a way (maybe trough children accounts type) to manage the device remotely by myself?

Thanks!

Last edited:

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
No matter what, iOS will eventually insist that a passcode be changed or re-entered or setup even if one doesn’t exist. It may take years for it to happen, but it eventually will (in my experience).

There’s no way to stop it unless Apple deletes the idiotic prompt.

Is it stupid and annoying and dangerous? Yes. But lots of things Apple does are, so just add this to the list.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
No matter what, iOS will eventually insist that a passcode be changed or re-entered or setup even if one doesn’t exist. It may take years for it to happen, but it eventually will (in my experience).

There’s no way to stop it unless Apple deletes the idiotic prompt.

Is it stupid and annoying and dangerous? Yes. But lots of things Apple does are, so just add this to the list.
In almost 14 years, I never had a random prompt asking for my phones passcode. Luck, I guess. 🤷

Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
The discussion in the original Facebook group suggest a possible hack of the guy's iPhone?
It's seams pretty unlikely to happen, in my opinion, but we never know...

I for myself use iPhones since 2010 and iPads since 2012 and never saw that pop up either.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
That is a style of pop up requesting a code that I’ve never seen before from Apple.
Agreed. Some scam app throwing up a fake credentials prompt, as a real Apple prompt would have Emergency/Continue side-by-side at the bottom, not stacked. And if asking for numeric, would see "- - - -", not a text box asking for 4 characters. And if signing into Apple services, would get the "for myemail@service.com" text.

Easiest way to see if fake or real is to hit the home button or swipe up: if you can get to the home screen, not an Apple prompt.

Reactions: chabig

Squillace

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2016
Switzerland
Agreed. Some scam app throwing up a fake credentials prompt, as a real Apple prompt would have Emergency/Continue side-by-side at the bottom, not stacked. And if asking for numeric, would see "- - - -", not a text box asking for 4 characters. And if signing into Apple services, would get the "for myemail@service.com" text.

Easiest way to see if fake or real is to hit the home button or swipe up: if you can get to the home screen, not an Apple prompt.
Well, I didn't got that prompt myself so I can't test. But what you say makes sense.

What I would want to know is if this kind of action (obligation to change the passcode after a while) is something Apple implemented...

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
What I would want to know is if this kind of action (obligation to change the passcode after a while) is something Apple implemented...
No. Apple does not enforce passcodes in general. There are some features for which a passcode is required, for example if you want to use Apple Pay with your device. But generally speaking no, there is no obligation to set a passcode.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
It's not Apple prompting as it's a fake prompt. It's some app or website throwing it up.

Can try Setting > Safari > Clear History and Website data to see if that helps.

If an sketchy app is throwing it (example: free games have a nasty habit of re-directs to webpages, throwing things up on the screen), gets tougher, as need to delete them and re-install one at a time.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Do you have a screenshot of this popup? I've had my iPhone ask me to sign into my account with a prompt before and it was 100% a legit Apple system prompt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.