Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

so

• Yes

Votes: 61 74.4%
  • No

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Not sure yet

Votes: 8 9.8%

• Total voters

MacintoshJosh3

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Absolutely my favorite experience from any iPhone.

I personally did not enjoy the X I had for the last year at all however the Max solves almost all complaints I had with the X.

Reactions: Zord

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I had an X, which was nice. Wasn’t sure if I’d be used to the bigger screen. But after a week, I’m hooked. The X feels tiny now.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Care to elaborate ?

Not grilling just genuinely curious :D

It's a nice phone no doubt. Screen is nice, but I don't think it's some display marvel that has to be had. Speakers are a little louder, but again these aren't huge deals to me. Wireless charging is convenient I guess, but mainly only when i'm going to bed or working at my desk. Honestly just plugging in a cable isn't that difficult is it? lol plus it's slower than wired charging still.

Camera is nice, but I'm not an expert photographer and my 7 plus is still good. Touch ID is still really convenient, can set different fingers, can get into the phone without always having to look at it, etc. Face ID is nice, it's a little faster than the X, but horizontal support/more faces I think would really help (as well as it would possibly bring a true landscape mode for the X line). Like others have stated, as of now the Xs Max doesn't really utilize the space to show more content than say my 7 plus.

There's reports of cellular issues/wifi issues with these Xs phones, possibly due to antenna issues. These have 4x4 capabilities so it'd be kind of a slap in the face if I were to get a lesser quality signal than even my 7 plus. I mainly bought it for the dual sim capability but obv that's not ready yet. So I may just return it and wait, possibly for even the next iphone. By then the e-sim features should be established in the US and maybe if there are issues w/the antennas it'd be ironed out.

There really wasn't anything that made me say wow, but honestly I don't get that emotional about phones lol. There's absolutely nothing wrong with my 7 plus, so that probably plays into my thinking.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
It's a nice phone no doubt. Screen is nice, but I don't think it's some display marvel that has to be had. Speakers are a little louder, but again these aren't huge deals to me. Wireless charging is convenient I guess, but mainly only when i'm going to bed or working at my desk. Honestly just plugging in a cable isn't that difficult is it? lol plus it's slower than wired charging still.

Camera is nice, but I'm not an expert photographer and my 7 plus is still good. Touch ID is still really convenient, can set different fingers, can get into the phone without always having to look at it, etc. Face ID is nice, it's a little faster than the X, but horizontal support/more faces I think would really help (as well as it would possibly bring a true landscape mode for the X line). Like others have stated, as of now the Xs Max doesn't really utilize the space to show more content than say my 7 plus.

There's reports of cellular issues/wifi issues with these Xs phones, possibly due to antenna issues. These have 4x4 capabilities so it'd be kind of a slap in the face if I were to get a lesser quality signal than even my 7 plus. I mainly bought it for the dual sim capability but obv that's not ready yet. So I may just return it and wait, possibly for even the next iphone. By then the e-sim features should be established in the US and maybe if there are issues w/the antennas it'd be ironed out.

There really wasn't anything that made me say wow, but honestly I don't get that emotional about phones lol. There's absolutely nothing wrong with my 7 plus, so that probably plays into my thinking.

7plus is a great phone still. I think you make some good points. Thanks !

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Nah. My 8 Plus is paid for. I used the Max and loved a lot about it. But I didn’t love it $1,350 to $1,550 more than my 8 Plus. I have no complaints about the Max at all. Apple did awesome on it. But for me personally, for the first time in 10 years, I’ll hold onto a phone for an additional year. My desire to have the best has finally been out-priced.

dstew201

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2016
Nah. My 8 Plus is paid for. I used the Max and loved a lot about it. But I didn’t love it $1,350 to $1,550 more than my 8 Plus. I have no complaints about the Max at all. Apple did awesome on it. But for me personally, for the first time in 10 years, I’ll hold onto a phone for an additional year. My desire to have the best has finally been out-priced.

Even utilizing IUP?? Then you can justify it with the old “it’s only 3 bucks more a month” :p

Ivabign

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2011
SoCal
My old phone was a 6s Plus, so I’m thrilled with the new phone. Same size and I wanted a camera upgrade. Also my 3.5m headphone jack protest wasn’t getting any traction, so it was time.

I am glad that I didn’t pull the trigger last year on the X as I like the large screen. Many here told me the 5.8 wasn’t equivalent to the 5.5 on my Plus. And a year with no phone payment made the Max price more palatable.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I have to return my Max because the OLED aggravates my eyes and migraine. And there were some connectivity issues.

Putting aside my migraine problem that many people fortunately do not have to consider, the display on my particular Max was gorgeous and a worthy upgrade. The camera showed improvements I was interested in. It handled tough lighting situations better than my 8 Plus does. It has stereo audio recording ability. Oddly, someone coming from a 7 Plus might not notice a huge upgrade, because in my observation, the 7 Plus did a much nicer job than the 8/8 Plus and X at NOT obscuring detail in blown out highlights

I did appreciate that the display itself as well as the camera both offer higher dynamic range than my 8 Plus does.

The stereo sound from the speakers was incredible. Apple outdid themselves there. I will sorely miss that beautiful surround sound effect I enjoyed in the one Amazon Prime movie I got to watch on it (Regarding Henry).

Sadly, call quality was still atrocious. Possibly worse than my 8 Plus offers, and that’s no prince either. But there is a chance that will be fixed at some point once the engineers finish their trouble shooting. There’s a whole thread about it and I don’t think anything is quite figured out or resolved yet.

I did enjoy having extra screen real estate. If I could keep it I certainly would. I’m very sad I have to send it back to Apple. :(

As for justifying the price, well if I were still my 35 year old self struggling on a budget, no, I suppose I could not justify the price and would hang on to an 8 Plus as long as I could.

But I’m 52. How many more iPhone generations do I have left to enjoy? If I end up with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis like my mom, (and I already have autoimmune disease so it’s not looking good for me) I won’t be able to use an iPhone physically even if I can handle it cognitively. So, I went for it because right now I can afford it and I don’t have a huge window of enjoying these devices. And they certainly didn’t exist when I was in my prime. I had a honking huge Nokia and an ugly pager instead. :p

Anyway I’m looking forward now to an XR. It’s not the same. But I’m sure I’ll have fun with it. Just trying to decide on a color is fun.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.