Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 28, 2012
Let me start by saying that I'm thinking about going Android later this year, so I'm looking at both Google's and Apple's offerings in order to decide on a phone by year's end. With that said, I went into today's keynote with no expectations. While Apple didn't introduce anything extraordinary during today's keynote, I think the new additions to iOS are pretty great overall. I LOVE the new notifications and I'm incredibly excited about the new Siri SDK. Also, while I believe it's embarrassing that iMessage took up like 20 minutes of the presentation, I'll (obviously) use all of its new features. Why wouldn't I?

However, there seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction with the MR community and today's keynote. Hey, I totally get it. I don't think Apple is the industry-leading-by-a-mile company that they were a few years ago, but I can't help but feel that we're just expecting too much. We've reached the point now that there is only so much you can do with a smartphone. People seemed to have loved Google's announcement of Allo at their I/O conference, yet people bash the new iMessage (which added all of the features people loved about Allo). Android will be catching up to iOS's quick reply notifications later this year with Android N, yet iOS will be catching up to Android's home screen widgets later this year. It's a back-and-forth on both sides.

I think today's keynote was pretty cool. I had no expectations. Your thoughts?

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
I will say that I was more impressed than I expected with watchOS 3... By far the most impressive upgrade

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah, people seem to be expecting the original iPhone or perhaps iPad release pretty much with every event that Apple has, when reality is that those kinds of things are not that common and expecting something like that isn't realistic.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Thank you. I was very pleased with the keynote, because I had no expectations. Why? Because I love my iPhone as is- everything that Apple announced today was just bonus for me. It's the difference between "I wonder what Apple will announce today" and "They better do x, y, z, and etc. etc. or I'm going to be pissed". Your attitude plays a huge role in how you handle things.

Furthermore, I think a lot of people on these forums are hesitant to leave Apple when they really should be buying products from other companies. For example, I wanted a good gaming computer. Instead of whining and cursing Apple for not selling adequate and upgradable desktop computers, I just bought a Windows machine that does everything I wanted it to do. Problem solved.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
I believe some are. Like already mentioned, the devices we hold in our hands do pretty much anything you want or would even need them to do. Yet people want to complain or say they were unimpressed or yawn or Apples is crap or doomed. Seems to me improving on what we can already do with a "telephone" (which is already pretty much anything you want) is a plus and a good goal. Especially for the price for the upgrade. :) If by chance some new never heard of something comes along and becomes included well all the better.

People are already uninstalling the beta after a few hours not because of issues but "i dont like x,y,or z". I am sure in a few days iOS 9.3.2 will become the holy grail of iOS. Same as iOS 8 became once 9 came out. So the cycle continues.

For the record, i liked the looks of things in the keynote and think iOS 10 may be a decent update. But I wont use all those iMessage "pretties" other than the smart links which I think will be awesome! Just not my deal but hey its cool for those who do. Nice to have those lock screen editions for those who want them but again I prefer my lock screen is just that, LOCKED. I will unlock to see my stuff. TouchID makes it easy enough.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
However, there seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction with the MR community and today's keynote.

MacRumors has turned into a festering cesspool of hate and vitriol. You can't go more than a thread or two before someone is crapping all over something Apple. Whether it's because they don't really like Apple and just like upsetting someone else's apple cart (no pun intended) or they're overwrought fanboys who can't see the forest for the trees, there are so many bitter people here who cannot be satisfied by anything that it's hardly worth even looking at the community stuff anymore. I just knew that the overall reaction here to the keynote would be negative, and I haven't been disappointed.

It's such a shame. reddit/r/apple is a far more upbeat and friendly community that MR; if you want some positivity, there's a lot more to be had there.

Reactions: Paradoxally

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
I have a feeling a big majority of people on MR actually use Android and come here to hate on Apple like it's their job.
[doublepost=1465869292][/doublepost]
It's such a shame. reddit/r/apple is a far more upbeat and friendly community that MR; if you want some positivity, there's a lot more to be had there.

Luckily, MR users are not representative of the 99.9% of other Apple customers. They love pretty much everything Apple put out, and if they don't, they either don't use it or learn to love it.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Over all, I am quite pleased with the direction, as demonstrated in the keynote. Clearly, we are "day 1" of "beta 1"... so there is some work to be done, but Apple will get us there. I believe that he design elements will evolve through the beta process... I have not yet tried the watchOS or tvOS updates, but very pleased with iOS and macOS, so far.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
MacRumors has turned into a festering cesspool of hate and vitriol. You can't go more than a thread or two before someone is crapping all over something Apple. Whether it's because they don't really like Apple and just like upsetting someone else's apple cart (no pun intended) or they're overwrought fanboys who can't see the forest for the trees, there are so many bitter people here who cannot be satisfied by anything that it's hardly worth even looking at the community stuff anymore. I just knew that the overall reaction here to the keynote would be negative, and I haven't been disappointed.

It's always like this right around a non-hardware keynote. Give it a week or two and some of it will die down.

Right now, just look at the complaints about the beta and laugh.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
It's always like this right around a non-hardware keynote. Give it a week or two and some of it will die down.

Right now, just look at the complaints about the beta and laugh.
It's like this around hardware announcements and just about any other announcement that either a) doesn't live up to the hype either in the user's mind or based on internet rumors and/or b) doesn't have some knock-your-socks-off "innovation" that changes everything. So, in other words, almost all the time.

It's not every board on the forum, and certainly not every user, but I feel like I've watched this place turn into such a pit of negativity that it's hard for me to post here as often as I used to. I basically have to brace myself for the onslaught every time there's an Apple news story the drives me here.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Yeah, people seem to be expecting the original iPhone or perhaps iPad release pretty much with every event that Apple has, when reality is that those kinds of things are not that common and expecting something like that isn't realistic.
Used to be common in the Jobs Era.iphone,iPad,iPod all SJ innovations

Tim Cook?Emojis and Watch bands

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Used to be common in the Jobs Era.iphone,iPad,iPod all SJ innovations

Tim Cook?Emojis and Watch bands
So 3 things out of all the years means common? I guess Tim Cook still has plenty of time left. And just because you and various others didn't care for something like Apple Watch doesn't mean it wasn't something on similar level. You forget how much doom and gloom and pointlessness was around when the iPod was being launched and how that all turned out. What people feel and imagine something to be, doesn't change the reality.
[doublepost=1465876164][/doublepost]
Give the people what they want, but interesting that was your only take away from wwdc.
If Samsung would have announced any of the things mentioned by Apple today they would have been the pinnacle of innovation and Apple would have been decades behind for not having them. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: I7guy

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
It's like this around hardware announcements and just about any other announcement that either a) doesn't live up to the hype either in the user's mind or based on internet rumors and/or b) doesn't have some knock-your-socks-off "innovation" that changes everything. So, in other words, almost all the time.

It's not every board on the forum, and certainly not every user, but I feel like I've watched this place turn into such a pit of negativity that it's hard for me to post here as often as I used to. I basically have to brace myself for the onslaught every time there's an Apple news story the drives me here.
Agreed. I joined these forums because it was a wonderful place to talk about Apple and Apple products. Now it's just a place for irrational, angsty diatribes from people who don't get everything they want yesterday.

Still, the editors and mods are really great, and there are definitely some knowledgeable users once you get past the rotting smell of negativity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.