Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Today's Google I/O was super impressive, and I'm feeling worried for Apple and Siri. How can they compete with the sheer comprehensive integration that Gemini has across Google's portfolio?

Gemini, Gemma, Gems... it's a bit hard to keep these all straight, but Google is doing an impressive job with presenting this technology in an eye-catching way.

I'm a strong believer that Apple does not _need_ to compete directly with Gemini and OpenAI, but instead embrace those technologies _within_ their operating systems. The best of all worlds. Maybe that's how Siri will be positioned... as a gateway to not just one AI platform, but to all of them at once, while excelling at keeping privacy at the forefront?

Interesting to see Google emphasize "Only on Android". I'm sure that won't last for long.

Last edited:

jb310

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2017
I think Apple will just try to integrate other companies' existing AI tech into iOS, at least in the short term. Longer term, I think they'll try and have their own AI platform and just use that exclusively.

An example of something like this was when older versions of iOS relied on Google Maps for mapping functionality, before eventually Apple decided to have their own Apple Maps software. I think something similar will happen with AI.

Reactions: coolfactor

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Agreed. Just sad that there's this negative perception that Apple is somehow "behind" when it's their own hardware and software platforms being used to _create_ these AI solutions. 🤣 #perspective

Feek

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
JO01
I don't worry about what another company is doing. I have much bigger issues in my life to worry what a mobile phone company does, especially a company who doesn't make the phone I use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.