Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Jobs wasn't without issue, however one did feel he pushed Apple to produce the very best it possibly could do.
Yes, some of the design choices are evidence of his absence. The camera bump on the iPhone is one that comes to memory, I can't see how that would have passed muster if he was running the show, or this, which is so un-apple like:
1570642825565.png

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Whilst the MM is a bit small I actually didn't mind the charging port location, I can even say I understood it. There was nowhere else it could go. Given it lasted so long there is plenty of opportunities to keep it juiced up.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
TBH it's a shame, as with all once you sell out there's no return

Indeed, having spent so much time on Windows recentely I have become used to it. Unfortunately, I just can't stand it for my development work, you understand why seeing a PHP developer using Windows is a shock to everyone when you compare it to macOS. The tools, workflow, synergy to a Linux webserver which is where your work will eventually go and so on.

But I don't need a powerhouse for that, the Mac Mini which remains a pretty solid device in the Apple line up is all I need. Aside from that, I do still love the iPad, the only thing that will make me move away from it is the Surface Pro X, possibly but unlikely the Neo as I don't get the dual-screen approach, not for my use case.

I will continue to use the Xs and Apple watch until one dies or there is a compelling alternative or an iPhone that I think is a worthy replacement at a decent price point. That Surface Duo could be a winner if they get it right.

The thing is, I don't hate Apple in general, I am tolerant of everything, even pricing but the whole MBP keyboard issue just pissed me off and it made me turn to something else. But in the process, I have found myself using Windows either on the S940 or PC much more and not wishing I was back on macOS for everything else apart from dev.

Even updating to Catalina over the past 24 hours has been a complete PITA, USB-C to HDMI cables no longer work, App store purchases disappeared with no way to get them back, they just appeared this morning, whilst it is pretty much all back together it was way more painful than it should have been.

And for many the suffering continues, devices being bricked, software (Apple core, like iCloud) still not functioning correctly. But hey, all the cool new emojis are working..

Last edited:
Reactions: Mendota and Queen6

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I don't mind throttling, I mind my computer breaking down. I am willing to wait a bit longer for things to get done over a melted motherboard. Which have soldered SSDs...

TBH it's a shame, as with all once you sell out there's no return... Jobs wasn't without issue, however one did feel he pushed Apple to produce the very best it possibly could do.

Today one feels it's simply all about the $ little else; boring, dull iterative updates, locked into a predetermined update cycle, regardless of issues.

Apple you have lost my custom both, privately & professionally. Once I would have categorically endorsed the Mac, today simply no, waste of $$$$....

Q-6

Everyone still using Apple computers because of MacOS, if Mac OS would work with say Dell XPS, Apple hardware market will shrink significantly. Despite the complaints, it is still much more pleasant to use than Windows and its telemetry and complicated-friendly Linux.

There was a time when people actually preferred the Apple hardware to get things done, I can see that happening with the upcoming Mac Pro's but not for the rest of the product line.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
it is still much more pleasant to use than Windows

Honestly don't think that holds true anymore, certainly a personal choice as to which you prefer but even as a 20-year user of Apple hardware and OS I can say that Windows 10 at least, is really not that bad.

But it is macOS more than the hardware that keeps people buying the devices, even those that would prefer a Dell XPS or similar with macOS installed. But it will never happen for the very reason it will make their hardware division obsolete. Sure people will still buy the hardware but not in enough numbers to justify the infrastructure it currently has. Apple knows this hence they will never hoar out the OS for anything else but their devices.

Sadly, Microsoft is slowly but surely winning me back, if I could find a perfect setup to replace macOS for my development work I would be gone from Apple completely.

Last edited:

decisions

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2019
Yes, some of the design choices are evidence of his absence. The camera bump on the iPhone is one that comes to memory, I can't see how that would have passed muster if he was running the show, or this, which is so un-apple like:
View attachment 868079

Exactly. Same with the how the Apple Pencil used to charge on the bottom of an iPad.

Or, of course, the notch. Which is still here when there are things like the pinhole camera on the S10e.

Jobs just held things to a higher standard. He would not stand for Apple products being held up to the competition and being outdone in terms of hardware design, aesthetic, usability.

Cook on the other hand seems to only care about such things when the competition has made an economic dent in the company. One can only wonder how such a direction will pan out in the longterm (depending on how long Cook even wants to keep his position).

Reactions: Queen6

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Exactly. Same with the how the Apple Pencil used to charge on the bottom of an iPad.

Or, of course, the notch. Which is still here when there are things like the pinhole camera on the S10e.

The pencil charging was an abomination, should never have happened. The notch, on the other hand, was not that bad. Just because there are pinhole cameras on a different phone does not mean the notch is bad or that it needs to be changed, it may in your view but I have yet to come across anyone in my own world who has any strong feelings over it.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
Well now to be fair about the pencil... I never stuck it into the iPad to charge. The pencil shipped with an adapter that allowed you to charge it with a standard Apple cable using the charge block that came with the iPad. That is what I use and I even bought an extra on Amazon. People who tried to make it sound as if the only way to charge the pencil was to stick it into the iPad were being a bit disingenuous. Apple themselves should have made that clear.

Drak3

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2019
All thin and light laptops with high end hardware are like this. They run CPUs at a temperature that is technically safe (Intel processors TjMax is 105C), but won't see prolonged life where the machine outlasts its usefulness by years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.